reading challenges

I've recently discovered reading challenges online. They're not new, but I'm late to hop on the bandwagon. I'm trying to resist the temptation to join too many, as I hardly need help with reading goals. There are two I'm signing on for, however: What's In a Name? and Support Your Local Library. The rules are simple: follow the guidelines of the challenge, post reviews of the books you read along the way, and enjoy yourself. I believe some prizes are awarded along the way too.

What's In a Name deals with words in book titles. You must read a total of six books, one each with a title word that is (1)profession, (2)time of day, (3)relative, (4)body part, (5)building, (6)medical condition. I'm curious to see how little I may have to plan for this challenge.

Support Your Local Library offers three options: read 12, 25 or 50 books from the library in 2009. Given my short reading list this year, I'm opting for 25 and hoping for 50.

I've also been slowly working my way through my own perpetual, unofficial reading challenges: Pulitzer Prize fiction nominees and winners, Booker Prize nominees and winners, National Book Award fiction nominees and winners, Oprah books, EW's 100 New Classics & EW's Memoir List. I hope I don't get to the point when my reading related activities and planning take more time than reading itself.

Comments

  1. Greetings! Just wanted to drop by and officially welcome you to the challenge. I am so glad you decided to join us!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson