Pulitzer Prize 2010

Part of my desire to read deliberately this year, which hasn't been a total success by the way, is to read more award winners. I eagerly awaited the 3 p.m. announcement of the Pulitzer Prize winner and finalists for Fiction. I adore the Pulitzer Prize. It announces winners and finalist all at once, and the award comes in the spring. It's the first announcement of the year for adult books (yes, the Orange longlist is announced earlier, but the shortlist comes later this month and the winner won't be announced until June), so it has the extra air of excitement.
The winner: Tinkers by Paul Harding
Tinkers
Harding's first novel just won the Pulitzer Prize. I already downloaded it onto my Kindle and cannot wait to start reading it. The novel was published January 1, 2009. 
The Finalists:
In Other Rooms, Other Wonders by Daniyal Mueenuddin
In Other Rooms, Other Wonders
Mueenuddin is not too much of a surprise, as he was also a finalist for the National Book Award and Entertainment Weekly named it its Best Fiction book of 2009. It appeared on a slew of end of the year lists. 

Love in Infant Monkeys: Stories by Lydia Millet 
Love in Infant Monkeys: Stories

Millet's inclusion on this list is a huge surprise. I've wanted to read her work for years, but I never have. 

Overall, I'm thrilled. I've only heard good things about all three books and two of the three were huge surprises. The best news? The longest of the three is Other Wonders, Other Rooms, and it's only 256 pages. All three are accessibly works of literature, and I cannot wait to start discussing them with you.

Happy reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson