graphic novel review: How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less by Sarah Glidden

How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or LessThe backstory: Entertainment Weekly named How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less as one of the 10 Best Graphic Novels of 2010.

The basics: Sarah Glidden goes on a birthright trip to Israel with trepidation because of Israeli policies. Is it all propaganda or will it be a great experience?

My thoughts: For some reason, I have been having an incredibly difficult time reviewing this lovely graphic memoir. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It was a fascinating look into the birthright trip experience, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and young adulthood. Sarah Glidden is refreshingly honest about her struggles with Israel and Palestine. She wants there to be a right answer, and she hopes to find it through her thorough pre-trip research and open eyes throughout her trip.

The verdict: I shared in Glidden's frustrations at the complexity of life. Her trip is emotional in so many ways, and I truly felt I experienced it with her, through both her watercolor art and words.

Rating: 4.5 stars (out of 5)
Length: 208 pages
Publication date: November 9, 2010
Source: my fantastic local public library

As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. I hadn't hear of this book, but it does sound interesting. I am not familiar with the term "birthright trip" though I think it might be self explanatory. I think this is something that I would like to check out, and I like the fact that you were able to experience the journey through the author's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like just the sort of graphic novel that I need to put on my list to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for more graphic nonfiction books to read, and this looks like one right up my alley! I'm going to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good graphic novel that gives interesting information. It's such a fresh way of presenting stories while at the same time entertaining people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read my first graphic novel last year and was surprised at how much I loved it. It was also a nonfiction offering. I have been meaning to read another one, and this looks like a good one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this one! I've heard nothing but good things about it and your review just adds to the pile! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley