July 2011 Goals

After (almost) a month in Des Moines, I feel like I've really settled into a routine for reading. I read at the bus stop and on the bus, and I take my lunch hour to read most days. Mr. Nomadreader has been mostly working nights, so I've been doing a fair amount of reading nights and weekends too. That rooftop patio sure is nice:-)

I have a pretty ambitious reading plan for July, but it's one I'm excited about. My best reading month this year was January, and it was a month I scheduled my reading day-by-day. After a few months of slow reading, June picked up when I once again began scheduling to catch up on review commitments and personal reading goals. I hope to do the same each month (as long as it's working!) Regardless, here's what I hope to spend my July reading:
A Good Hard Look: A Novel Grace Williams Says It Loud. Emma HendersonThe Privileges: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle)Comedy in a Minor Key: A Novel
The Memory of LoveFrench Lessons: A NovelThe Tiger's Wife: A NovelNext to Love: A Novel

When I Lived in Modern TimesI Curse the River of Time: A Novel (The Lannan Translation Series)Close Your Eyes: A NovelThe Lantern: A Novel 
The Booker Prize longlist will be announced July 26. I haven't decided if I will attempt to read them all or not, but I plan on reading many of them. I'm hoping to have these twelve books finished by July 26th, so I can jump into the Booker longlist. A woman can dream, right?

Now tell me: what are you most looking forward to reading this month?

As an affiliate, I receive a very, very small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Wow, that's an ambitious reading list! You have some great books lined up though and I'll be reading some of those "oranges" along with you. I'm also looking forward to the Booker longlist announcement; I have no plans to read them all immediately but I enjoy following the process and eventually reading the winner and some nominees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really pleased to hear that you are settling in nicely. I hope that you manage to catch up on your Orange reading and that there are lots of good books on the Booker list to tempt us with. Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing so well with your reading, and also with adjusting to your new home! I am looking forward to reading Before I Fall, and The Peach Keeper this long weekend, but have to finish The Storm at the Door first. It's a very sobering and serious read, and I am looking forward to finishing it and taking a break with something lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all look awesome! This month, I'm finishing up Stefan Merrill Block's "Storm at the Door," and then I'll start "Next to Love" - I'm glad to hear that you're excited about it too!

    I'm also planning on reading Sapphire's "Push" and "The Kid"... hopefully it won't be too depressing to do both in one month.

    And then I have John Burnham Schwartz's "Reservation Road" and "Northwest Corner"... whew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, some really fabu books in the queue. I just finished French Lessons and enjoyed it -- very breezy, beach-read-ish (for me) -- and I too am going to read The Lantern. Can't wait to see what you think of Next to Love -- I so, so enjoyed that one -- it sucked me in on a Sun morning and didn't let go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your plan! I'm going to read To the Lighthouse...and who knows what else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am seeing that a few people are reading French Lessons for Paris in July and it sounds interesting so I am definitely looking forward to hearing what you think about it. Welcome to Paris in July!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bunch of Orange books on your list! I really want to read the Grace Williams' book, but it's not available here yet. And the Forne book is on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm diving into Orange Prize books for the Orange July event. I've started with Ali Smith's The Accidental and hope to read lots of other books including The Tiger's Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love love your list! I can't wait to go on your July journey with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great stack of books. I hope you're able to meet your goal by the 26th. There are so many books that i want to read this month but I'm looking forward to reading A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is an impressive pile of books! Next to Love is on my list too and I have wanted to read Privileges since I came out - I will look out for your review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley