Sunday Salon: Wrapping Up July 2011 & Planning for August

Happy Sunday, everyone! At the beginning of the month, I laid out my reading goals for July. How did I do? Pretty well! This month, I read 13 books.

The Excellent (rated 4.5 stars or more):
Next to Love: A NovelCity of Fire (Lena Gamble Novels)The Privileges: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle)Comedy in a Minor Key: A NovelYou Know When the Men Are Gone
Next to Love by Ellen Feldman (5 stars)
City of Fire by Robert Ellis (5 stars) -- reread -- review coming soon
The Privileges by Jonathan Dee (4.5 stars)
Comedy in a Minor Key by Hans Keilson (4.5 stars)
You Know When the Men Are Gone by Siobhan Fallon (4.5 stars)

The Good (Rated 4 or 4.25 stars):
Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, Book 6)Close Your Eyes: A NovelA Good Hard Look: A NovelFrench Lessons: A NovelThe Memory of Love
Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear (4.25 stars)
Close Your Eyes by Amanda Eyre Ward (4 stars) -- review coming tomorrow
A Good Hard Look by Ann Napolitano (4 stars)
French Lessons by Ellen Sussman (4 stars)
The Memory of Love by Aminatta Forna (4 stars)

The Somewhat Disappointing (rated 3.5 stars or less):
The Tiger's Wife: A NovelI Curse the River of Time: A NovelPigeon English
The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht (3.5 stars)
I Curse the River of Time by Per Petterson (3 stars)
Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman (3 stars) -- review coming Tuesday


As you can see, July was a wonderful reading month! I thoroughly enjoyed almost all of the books I read. I also read ten of the twelve books I set as goals, which was affirming of how well planning my reading can work for me.

Plans for August: With the recently announced Booker Prize longlist and the good fortune to have a large pile of fall release review copies in my possession, I plan to spend August alternating between Booker nominees and fall releases. Happy Sunday, everyone!

As an affiliate, I receive a very, very small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. 13 books is amazing! I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your recap posts. You had some great reading this past month.

    Here's to August! I feel a bit of fall in the air already! Cozy reading spots, lots of great ARCs. Soup. Gotta have soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reading month: I hope your August is shaping up just as swimmingly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley