Sunday Salon: Spring Break!

Happy Sunday everyone! Mr. Nomadreader had yesterday off (a very rare occasion), and we had a lovely day of eating, drinking and celebrating with friends. The only downside is I managed to read just 22 pages of Lauren Groff's new novel Arcadia. I'm already enchanted by the characters and setting, and I'm hoping to finish it today.

I have a big reading week ahead of me too. One of the perks of having twice as much vacation time as Mr. Nomadreader is the luxury of reading staycations. It's Spring Break this week, so I took the whole week off and hope to read all day almost everyday. My focus is still the Orange Prize longlist. I've read seven of the twenty books so far and am really enjoying my reading. I'm waiting on four to arrive from the UK, but I have the rest ready to read this week in case they don't arrive yet. I'm hoping this week will help me meet my ambitious goal of reading all twenty before the shortlist is announced next month. Even if I don't, having nine days off of work (counting the weekends) is a wonderful luxury!

Also coming up this week: the announcement of the Indie Lit Award winners! Look for the announcements Tuesday. I'm thrilled with the winner and runner-up we chose in the Fiction category and cannot wait to share the good news. I'll be posting my reviews of the shortlisted titles in the coming weeks too. I've had a wonderful time being a judge this year. As wonderful as it has been to discuss these five titles in depth with my fellow judges, I'm eager to discuss them with all of you soon too!

Around the book blogosphere, there are two major upcoming events to take note of: Dewey's Read-a-thon and Armchair BEA. I've enjoyed participating in both events in the past. This spring's Dewey's read-a-thon will be Saturday, April 21st. I'm sad I won't be able to participate, as I'll be throwing a baby shower for one of my best friends and spending the weekend with my college friends who all live too far away! If you'd like to volunteer for the read-a-thon, you may sign up here. Sign ups for readers will come in the next few weeks. The dynamite folks behind Armchair BEA, which I prefer to attending BEA, are hoping to make this year the biggest year yet and are already spreading the word about activities. All the details are here. I attended BEA and the first Book Blogger Con in 2010. It was a wonderful experience, but it was a very expensive week. I don't think I'll be attending again anytime soon, unless the rumors of a Chicago BEA become true.

Now tell me: what are you up to on this beautiful Sunday? What book is currently rocking your reading world?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Ooh, Arcadia! Thats on my want list...I love commune stories. I'm meeting a friend today for some book shopping...maybe I'll bring that one home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love commune stories too. It's fascinating thus far!

      Delete
  2. I'm also on a reading staycation. Haven't read as much as I would like, but I'm also trying to be somewhat social :) I'm on a bit of a nonfiction kick right now. Just finished Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger and now I'm reading Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz. I have Arcadia, but haven't started it yet. Heard many good things, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading staycation to you too! I'm hoping to read a book a day while the hubby is at work, then be social when he's not. We'll see how it goes...;-)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great staycation!!
    I didn't know (or did know and forgot) that you went to BEA in 2010.. I did too! I'd love to go again but I want to go on other trips too so that's where all my money goes. In fact I just came back from a trip to NYC!
    I wanted to read Arcadia because the author will be at the UCF thing but I never got a response to my net galley request. Ah well.
    Hve a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny--I didn't know you were at BEA in 2010 either. It was a wonderful time, but it's not enough of a financial priority to do frequently. If it makes you feel better, the e-galley for Arcadia was so poorly formatted I couldn't read it and had to get a paper copy!

      Delete
  4. Your staycation sounds like heaven! I don't have spring break until Easter so now I'm counting down. Plus with Arcadia in my reading stack, I want to bump it to the top of my reading list. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your break when it comes! I'll be ready for another one by then...

      Delete
  5. Reading staycation!! Have fun and enjoy -- I hope your books are all delicious. I've got Arcadia at home, winking at me -- can't wait for your review (I think -- that might make me extra impatient to get started on it! ;)). I just finished A Partial History of Lost Causes which I loooooooooooooooooved. As a result, the book I'm reading now just can't compete. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to Partial History--I have a copy I'm been meaning to get to. And yes, you should read Arcadia pronto!

      Delete
  6. I have Arcadia too and should be starting it soon.

    Staycations that involve reading are my fave types of vacation. My spring break doesn't hit until April 2nd and we are hitting a theme park (no reading) and then hitting the desert... lots of reading (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some time to read on vacation (and time to read Arcadia soon--I loved it!)

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to read Arcadia as well. I've been meaning to read The Monsters of Templeton by this author for some time now. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to read Monsters of Templeton forever too. Now I must.

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to read your review of ARCADIA. I read DELICATE EDIBLE BIRDS a while ago and was completely blown away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like her writing so much I will read her stories, but first I still need to enjoy Monsters of Templeton.

      Delete
  9. LOL! I definitely think that you spent your Sunday well, even if you only managed 22 pages. I think that's all I was able to read in Cloud Atlas before I fell fast asleep. ;)

    Another upcoming blogging event--Bloggiesta! It'll be my first time participating. Poor blog is in dire need of updating.

    Hope you're enjoying some beautiful weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait--Iowa. You're probably getting the rain we are. Why did I think you were in Arizona?!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson