mini-movie reviews: three films I highly recommend

I adore Marion Cotillard. Knowing she stars in Rust and Bone was enough to put it at the top of my Netflix queue, and I sat down to watch it knowing nothing of the plot. Incidentally, that's exactly how I recommend you watch it too. To describe the plot gives too much away, so I'll say these two things: Marion Cotillard's performance blew me away with its power and rawness and it's the best film I've seen this year. That she was only nominated for a Golden Globe and Critics Choice Award and not an Oscar astounds me.
Rating: 5 out of 5
Source: Netflix

Although I stopped paying attention to most sports several years ago, I do still watch as much of the four tennis grand slams as I can each year. There's a peace to letting sports into my life four times a year for two weeks at a time. Serena Williams remains my all-time favorite tennis player. She's far from perfect, but I love to watch her play. This documentary goes behind the scenes of the 2011 tennis season, which was a tumultuous one for both Venus and Serena. It also looks at their childhood and careers. I'm not too proud to say: I ugly cried in the opening montage. As much fun as I've had watching the careers of these two athletes, this documentary puts their accomplishments into perspective beautifully. To know Serena is still at the top of the women's tour after the hardship and injuries she faced during the 2011 season makes it even more satisfying.
Rating: 5 out of 5
Source: Netflix

I'm late to the Silver Linings Playbook party, I know. I've been a huge fan David O. Russell, who adapted the screenplay from  Matthew Quick's novel and directed it, for almost twenty years. There's an emotional honesty to his films I adore, and this one is no exception. I'm glad I watched this film knowing little about its plot, as it's a film I enjoyed watching unfold slowly. The performances are admittedly excellent, but Jennifer Lawrence, as good as she is in this film, still doesn't compare to Marion Cotillard's performance in Rust and Bone. Still, I really enjoyed this film and its dark humor.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Source: library


As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I love Silver Linings Playbook. I'm glad you enjoyed it too. For those of us who don't watch or follow sports at all, would you still recommend Venus and Serena? I'm putting Rust and Bone on hold now. Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm totally going to get Rust and Bone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson