- An Unnecessary Woman by Rabih Alameddine
- The UnAmericans by Molly Antopol (my review)
- Wolf in White Van by John Darnielle
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- Redeployment by Phil Klay
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
- Thunderstruck and Other Stories by Elizabeth McCracken
- Orfeo by Richard Powers
- Lila by Marilynne Robinson
- Some Luck by Jane Smiley
- The judges seem to like short stories more than I do. This year's longlist has three story collections, and two are by debut authors (Antopol and Klay). If all three make the shortlist, I'll be surprised.
- Cheers to the Iowa Writer's Workshop...and Iowa! Four authors have strong Iowa ties: McCracken, Robinson, Smiley and Darnielle. (John Darnielle has lived in Iowa.)
- The longlist is a nice cross-section of young talent and established talent, including one former winner (Powers) and two former shortlisted authors (Smiely and McCracken). I'm curious how the shortlist will look.
- Richard Powers made the Booker Prize longlist but not the shortlist. Will he fare better here?
Now tell me: what are your first thoughts about the longlist?
As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!