Wrapping Up: The Mockalong

March is coming to an end, and so is the Mockalong. I'm pleased I managed to finally read To Kill a Mockingbird, even if I didn't love it. I did love Calpurnia, and I'm curious to see what role she will play in Go Set a Watchman, which I've pre-ordered for my Kindle (and remain really excited about.)

This week, as I've reflected on the Mockalong, I admit I might not have prioritized my reading of To Kill a Mockingbird without this readalong. Hosting the Mockalong made me accountable to my own reading goal, even as I abandoned my original plan to watch and review the film for this final post (when you don't really love a book, sometimes watching its film adaptation isn't a terribly exciting prospect.)

Admittedly, it's somewhat awkward to not be a champion of the book you pick for a readalong, but literature isn't about agreement. I loved the conversations I had with people about To Kill a Mockingbird, particularly those who took the time to re-read it and reflect on how their perceptions of it were different this time. I tend to think of my responses to book as static (i.e. a five-star read is a five-star read), but how well would some of my five-star reads hold up to a re-read today? The longer I keep reading publicly and blogging, it's worth thinking about.

If you posted about the Mockalong or To Kill a Mockingbird this month, please leave a link in the comments or Tweet it to me. I'll update this post with a list of links.

As always, thanks for reading!

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Here is mine: http://thesleeplessreader.com/2015/03/24/to-kill-a-mockingbird-by-harper-lee/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley