Waiting on Wednesday: A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan

 
Jill at Breaking the Spine hosts Waiting on Wednesday each week to encourage book bloggers to spotlight an eagerly anticipated upcoming release.

A Visit from the Goon Squad 
My pick this week is A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, author of The Keep, Look At Me, The Invisible Circus, and Emerald City (short stories).
Here's what the publisher has to say:
Jennifer Egan’s spellbinding new work circles Bennie Salazar, an aging former punk rocker and record executive, and Sasha, the passionate, troubled young woman he employs. Bennie and Sasha never discover each other’s pasts, but the reader does, in intimate detail, along with the secret lives of a host of other people whose paths intersect with theirs in the San Francisco 1970s music scene, the demimonde of Naples, New York at many points along the way from the pre-Internet nineties to a postwar future, and on a catastrophic safari into the heart of Africa. We meet Lou, Bennie’s charismatic, careless mentor; Scotty, the young musician who slipped off the grid; the uncle facing a failed marriage who goes in search of seventeen-year-old Sasha when she disappears into Italy; and the therapist on whose couch she dissects darker compulsions.

A Visit from the Goon Squad is a book about time, survival, and the electrifying sparks ignited at the seams of our lives by colliding destinies. Sly, surprising, exhilarating work from one of our boldest writers.
Yes, please!

A Visit from the Goon Squad will be published June 8, 2010 by Knopf, but you may pre-order it now.

Comments

  1. I haven't heard of this book. I have heard of the author and his other works, but not this book. Here'sMine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a busy book! But good pick. Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this author, but I've never read anything by her. I think I need to start...great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this is a new one to me. I need to find out more. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer Egan's books always sound so interesting. I read look at me and I loved her writing but I thought she lost control of the plot in that one, and I haven't yet picked up anything else. I plan on trying Invisible Circus at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read her The Invisible Circus many years ago for a book club. This one appeals to me the way that that one did way back then.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley