book review: Stiltsville by Susanna Daniel

Stiltsville: A NovelThe backstory: Stiltsville is Susanna Daniel's first novel. It was featured as one of Amazon's August 2010 Best Books of the Month. When I went to read more about it, I discovered an interview with Susanna Daniel and Curtis Sittenfeld, who wrote my favorite book ever, American Wife (my gushing review). They met at the Iowa Writer's workshop, and that was enough of an endorsement for me.

The basics: Stiltsville begins in 1969 when Frances, a young girl from Atlanta, has visited Miami for a wedding and meets Dennis. Each chapter takes place in a different year (in chronological order) of Dennis and Frances's marriage.

My thoughts: Susanna Daniel's writing captured me from the beginning. I saw a lot of myself in Frances, despite the difference in time and place. I was prepared for the novel to move forward in time, but I thought each year would get its own chapter. The first big jump concerned me, but it worked wonderfully well. There was never a moment of disorientation. Thanks in part to confident foreshadowing, there were both Frances's honest emotions at the time and a more mature perspective. I always felt as though Frances was telling the story of the time at that time, but when those moments of wisdom and glimpses of the future came, I welcomed their ability to add even more dimension to the characters and story.

Stiltsville is not just the story of this marriage. The years Daniel allows the reader to glimpse into the lives of Frances and Dennis are mostly crucial years in Miami history. It is as much a novel about how events shape one's life and memory as it is a novel about marriage. I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, and some of my favorite parts of this novel were the historical elements. I was not familiar with most of the events in this novel, but I looked into several of them while reading Stiltsville

The verdict: It's the most emotionally engaging novel I've read in quite some time. I often struggle writing reviews for books I adore, and I found nothing to criticize in Stiltsville. It may not be a universally appealing novel, but it has become one of my favorites, and I eagerly await Susanna Daniel's next novel.

Rating: 5 stars (out of 5)
Length: 320 pages
Publication date: August 1, 2010
Source: my local public library

The interview with Susanna Daniel and Curtis Sittenfeld is delightful, but I wouldn't recommend reading the first half of it before you read Stiltsville if you are at all averse to spoilers.

Buy Stiltsville from Amazon
Buy Stiltsville from an independent bookstore
Shop Indie Bookstores  
As an Amazon and IndieBound affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. I've heard both good and not so good reviews of this book, but it's still one that is on my list to read. Good to see that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Coffee and a Book Chick - I read good and not so good reviews too, and while I expected to like it, I was blown away by how much I loved it. Reading taste can be so personal, but I hope this one moves you the way it moved me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like this one as much as you did but am glad to have seen another perspective on the book. I think I had some trouble with the characters seeming detached at times. Thanks for your insight on this book. It was a great review to come across!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this book sounds right up my alley and I am so glad you liked it so much! I love it when books are that good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they seem to have this on the kindle so I think I'll download this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Zibilee - lately the books I love get mixed reviews. I must have quirky taste!

    @Amused - I think you would really like this one!

    @Jessica - I'll look forward to your thoughts on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such high praise! This one is on my shelf, and after your review I'm moving it up on the TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is some high praise! I really liked it too. Am surprised to see so many negative comments on my book club discussion today at EDIWTB.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley