book review: The Sweet Relief of Missing Children by Sarah Braunstein

The Sweet Relief of Missing Children: A NovelThe backstory: The Sweet Relief of Missing Children was one of the National Book Award's 5 Under 35 selections in 2010.

The basics: I really like the description I found in my library's catalog: "Two seemingly separate stories from different points in time interconnect and provide clues to the disappearance of a missing New York City girl."

My thoughts:
If you read my tumblr, then you were privy to my love fest of quotations as I was reading this novel. It's certainly the best novel I've read in 2011 (yes, I adored One Day, which is a lovely novel, but this one is better, and I enjoyed it just as much.) This novel begs to be re-read and re-appreciated as more layers come out. It won't appeal to all readers, but it's original, ambitious and lyrical. Watch out Jennifer Egan, Sarah Braunstein is coming for your readers.

Although the novel jumps around among characters, I was always enthralled. Typically, I'll enjoy one aspect of a split narrative, but in this novel, I didn't play favorites; I simply wanted to read. The Sweet Relief of Missing Children is the rare novel that renders me speechless. I can proclaim my love for it, but I've struggled with articulating why I loved it so much. Compared with the uniqueness of Braunstein's voice and story, my attempts to describe her work seem even more pedestrian. The short of it: just read it. Because characters think things like, "she understood that you could be too curious but you couldn't be too pretty." And Braunstein defies her own truth, "everything gets ordinary after awhile." Trust me, her writing doesn't.

Favorite passage: "Language was a net with holes too big to catch what he could say to her." See more of my favorite parts of this novel on its Kindle highlights page.

The verdict: I am completely in awe of Sarah Braunstein as both a writer and a storyteller. The scope of this story and these characters is mind boggling to me. To combine a pitch-perfect story with glorious writing is an achievement for any writer, but for a first-time novelist under the age of 35, it's surely the beginning of a long, successful career.

Rating: 5 stars (out of 5)
Length: 363 glorious pages
Publication date: February 28, 2011
Source: I bought it for my Kindle

Treat yourself! Buy The Sweet Relief of Missing Children from Amazon (hardback or Kindle version), The Book Depository, or an independent bookstore.

As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. Ahhhh I really want to read this now!!! I've only read one other blogger review and they did not care for it, but I totally trust your opinion so I'm thinking I'll love it. Plus, I love the quotes you added.

    I was going to say I'm currently reading one of te 5 under 35 right now but looks like you are too! I am in awe that the girl who wrote that is only 25!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like one to look out for. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great reviews on this book. Waiting for a copy from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so glad to see this review! I have this up for review soon, and I have been so intrigued about it and have been waiting to hear what others thought of it. It sounds like it wasn't only a good story, but lyrically and beautifully written as well. A great review on what i suspect is going to be a great book. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, you sold me. I'm heading to Amazon to check this out. It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it too. It was like listening to a soft whisper from across the room. You don't need to be loud in order to be heard. Soft, subtle and beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard such wonderful things about this one! Eager to read it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is quite a rave review...a great story and beautifully written. Sounds like an amazing author :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you enjoyed this one more than I did. I absolutely loved Braunstein's writing, but the sheer number of characters confused me a little. Still, I was very impressed with it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley