graphic novel review: Habibi by Craig Thompson

The basics: Habibi is the story of Dodola and Zam, two orphans who find companionship in one another. It's also the story of Islam and Christianity's roots.

My thoughts: I had Habibi in my read-a-thon pile, but I didn't get to it. I did, however, make time for it last week and found it so compelling I read it in a single sitting. It's an epic graphic novel in scope, ambition, art, story, and of course, length. I'm sure I would find new parallels and meanings with future readings of it.

What makes it feel most epic, however, is how brilliantly Thompson uses the format to achieve meaning. The story is powerful, and often quite dreary, but it's a story I don't think any other format, including film, could replicate with equal power. As I read it I found myself concentrating more fully than I typically do while reading. I was fully immersed in the time and place. Still, I found time to marvel at the utter idea of this graphic novel. How did Thompson think of it? It's simply majestic.

To get a feel for the art, Amazon has a nice gallery of customer photos.

The verdict: Thompson is a master and has created an amazing story in Habibi. As I read it, I was captivated like a child by its magic. Highly recommended to both graphic novel fans and those unfamiliar with the form.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Length: 672 pages
Publication date: September 20, 2011
Source: library

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy Habibi from Amazon.


As an affiliate, I receive a very, very small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Hmm I haven't heard of this one but it sounds powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this book. I loved Thompson's Blankets and am looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with your review! I think graphic novel newbies would like this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost bought this one for the readathon, but then I shied away because I hadn't read any reviews and wasn't sure I would like it. Now I need to go back to the store and pick it up. It sounds like something I would love! Great review today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blankets is one of my favorite graphic novels and I can't wait to read this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley