Monday Salon: Where Has My Reading Mojo Gone?

Happy Monday morning! Things have been mighty quiet around here lately, and I confess: I have lost my reading (and blogging) mojo. I hope to be back to normal soon, but in the meantime here's why I haven't been reading much lately:

  • Allergies. I'm not sure what it is I'm allergic to, but it is much more prevalent in Iowa than it was in New York. Even after taking Friday off work last week, I slept twelve hours a day all weekend. It's been cutting into my reading time pretty severely. I used to get up to read for an hour in the morning. Now I just aim to make it out of bed in time to get to work. I used to read for 2-3 hours after work. Now those hours are going to sleep.
  • The gym. I'm not blaming the gym, but I am making it a priority. I'm going every single day, no matter what. I've made it sixteen days in a row, and for now I'm focusing on getting in the routine of every day. I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it, but it does cut into my reading time a bit.
  • Work. I usually spend my lunch hour reading, but I haven't actually taken a lunch break since before Spring Break. Things may not calm down until after finals. At an academic library, the last month of the semester is always chaotic and exciting. 
  • Television. I confess: I'm spending more time watching tv than reading. My brain is allergy-fried, and television soothes it more than reading. I've managed to watch all of the episodes (to date) of Awake, The Killing, and Smash in the past week. I loved the first episode of Scandal. I'm finally making a dent in the ridiculous number of PBS documentaries and series saved on my DVR too (the Margaret Mitchell episode of American Masters is particularly fascinating--and Pearl Cleage, my favorite author, makes an appearance!)
We're nine days into April, and I've finished only one books: Foreign Bodies by Cynthia Ozick. It's 250 pages long, and I started it in March (my review is coming this week.) I'm enjoying Butterfly's Child by Angela Davis-Gardner immensely and hope to finish it in the next few days. My package of Orange longlisted books not yet published here finally arrived from the UK, and I'm eager to dig into those titles. Otherwise, I hope to catch up on The People's Read-a-long this week too. 

With next week's literary bonanza, I must get my reading mojo back: Monday (April 16th), the Pulitzers are announced. Tuesday (April 17th), the Orange Prize shortlist is announced. I hope to be back to my usual reading, blogging and blog visiting soon. Until then, I hope you're faring better with allergies than I am!

Happy reading!


As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. It does sound like you have had a lot of other things going on that preclude you from reading, but I think it's great that you are hitting the gym so regularly! I need to watch the first episode of Scandal as well. I have been seeing a lot of ads for it all over the place, and it looks interesting. I hope that your reading mojo comes back soon and that your allergies abate as well. Happy reading to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zibilee! I really enjoyed Scandal--it's a bit melodramatic at times but so much fun!

      Delete
  2. I think we all need these breaks sometimes! I look forward to those lists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny--you're right! It is nice to take a break every now and then. I only wish I could make them more intentional and scheduled than haphazard!

      Delete
  3. I've lost my reading mojo lately too! One of the main culprits is definitely the gym...but with summer around the corner, I really want to make it a priority. Maybe switching to audiobooks while working out will do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat--good luck with audiobooks. They don't work for me at the gym, but I hope with the hubby's new work schedule (mostly nights), I'll be forced back into my love of reading!

      Delete
  4. Well done on the gym, that's some motivation to manage every day for 16 days straight. Reading mojo comes and goes, I'm sure yours will be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! Once I got through the hurdle of the first week, I actually find myself looking forward to it (color me surprised!) The satisfaction of sticking to my goal is pretty fantastic, but I do miss that satisfaction of meeting my reading goals!

      Delete
  5. I feel you on the loss of reading/blogging mojo -- I feel like I'm moving through molasses, and the drama in my life has been made worse by allergies. UGH. Brava on the gym commitment, though -- that's awesome and huge and important. And finally, fantabulous TV choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audra! It is nice to have at least one accomplishment to cling to. Good luck getting your mojo back too!

      Delete
  6. I barely had time to read in March so I totally get it! Good luck getting your mojo back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amused! I *think* it's on its way back soon!

      Delete
  7. It's easy to get in a reading and blogging slump this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lola--you're right. Even with a mild winter, the beautiful temperatures and late sunlight do make it harder to read when I get home!

      Delete
  8. How about I trade you some reading mojo for a little gym mojo? :) Spring is definitely a more difficult time to read for me. I'm either dealing the pollin or attending events and get-togethers. Seems like everyone comes out of hiding as soon as warm weather hits! Hopefully you'll regain your reading momentum soon. In the meantime, enjoy your shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna! It's taken me years to find gym mojo, so I would be happy to share. I don't know what's finally making it stick, but I hope it stays!

      Delete
  9. I swear, there's a demon running around stealing mojo! I need mine back, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me--and that we both get it back soon!

      Delete
  10. Sorry about your allergies. Everyone seems to be suffering here too because winter was so mild. You rock with your workout persistence....way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! I started allergy medicine this morning, so I hope it's the beginning of the end.

      Delete
  11. I am sick too and have lost my mojo quite a bit! But what the heck! Do other things beside reading, live a balanced lifestyle, live your life besides reading! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life without reading?! What's that like;-). I agree balance is a good thing, but I need some reading in my life to have balance. I'd go for a book a week right now!

      Delete
  12. I just got out of a rut lasting two months, so I hear ya! At some point though, I just got back to reading. I hope you get back to reading soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I feel it coming back now...or perhaps the return of rainy, spring weather is helping!

      Delete
  13. Awake is such an interesting show, isn't it! I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes--I think it's fascinating, and I've been surprised to see how they play with reality/paranormal.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad mine is not the only reading mojo missing in action. I'm going to have to start making it a point to take a lunch hour to read. AND I need to get back to my nightly reading (unless Chopped is on!). :D Hoping things iron out for your soon -- especially those allergies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes--I need to find a way to reclaim lunch hour reading too. I hope you find time for you and reading with your new job!

      Delete
  15. Hope your allergies are better! They seem to be particularly bad this year.

    I haven't been reading much on my lunch break, either. I always feel like I should socialize with my coworkers, and while normally I don't mind it, lately I've just wanted to quietly read. Not sure how to say that without sounding rude, though . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily--I know what you mean. I generally avoid the staff break room because I'd rather read than chat, and I don't want to be rude because I do really like my co-workers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley