The Backlist Book Club: The August 2013 pick is Half of a Yellow Sun

The August 2013 Backlist Book Club selection is Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The votes this month were pretty close, with one exception: there was very little love for Kate Grenville's The Idea of Perfection. Admittedly, that title is perhaps the least well-known of the four. Here's the full voting breakdown:
  • Half of a Yellow Sun 38%
  • Small Island 31%
  • On Beauty 23%
  • The Idea of Perfection 8%
Half of a Yellow Sun won the Orange Prize (now Baileys Prize for Women's Fiction) in 2007 and was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award in 2006.

Here's how The Backlist Book Club works:
You have all month to read the book. After reading last month's pick later than anticipated, I actually enjoyed having the opportunity to discuss the title before reviewing it. I haven't decided if I'd like to review it before or after the discussion, so stay tuned. On Saturday, August 31, I'll host a discussion of the book here. The Twitter hashtag is #BacklistClub. Participate as much or as little as you like. If you'd like to post about The Backlist Book Club, grab the button and go!

Are you in? Get the book! Buy Half of a Yellow Sun from an independent bookstore, the Book Depository or Amazon (Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's website.

What's coming next? The August vote for The Backlist Book Club will post Sunday, August 18. Voting will go until noon on Saturday, August 31.



As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I've wanted to read this for a long while so I do hope to join you on 8/31 to dsicuss. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book has been on my shelf for years, so it's now or never! Hope I can squeeze it in this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good book. I will be around for the discussion, but won't be able to join in for the read.

    Have fun.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all in for a treat, that's one of my favourite books :)
    Small Island is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I'm tempted. This book has been on my wishlist for ages - let me see if my library has a copy available.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley