book review: Confessions of a Scary Mommy by Jill Smokler

The basics: Confessions of a Scary Mommy is an irreverent and honest book about the journey into motherhood, from Smokler's surprise first pregnancy to the present, when she has three children.

My thoughts: When I started back at work after maternity leave, a friend told me I had to read this book. So I did. And there were some parts I really liked. Each section begins with anonymous confessions. I admit: some made me laugh, some made me sneer, and others made me sad for the person who confessed. They were unconnected and eventually a little annoying.

The book itself is arranged somewhat chronologically and thematically. Predictably, I enjoyed some parts more than others, as I'm the mom to a 12-week-old, not three kids who walk and talk. As with most stories of parenting, I connected and related to some more than others. The reading experience itself wasn't deep enough for me. I'm all for irreverent and honest, but I still wanted depth and a stronger voice. It felt as though I was reading a compilation of already written pieces rather than an original book. I love small pieces on parenting, but they don't always come together for a strong narrative, and this one didn't, nor did it necessarily intend to. Given the choice of reading short pieces on parenting, I'd opt for the diversity and breadth of the Scary Mommy website rather than this collection.

The verdict: While there are some hilarious and sweet anecdotes, Confessions of a Scary Mommy barely scratches the surface. This slim volume is nice, but the website is a true treasure trove of content, including many more voices. Smokler's attempts to include other voices fell flat for me, and I found myself wishing she would share more of herself.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Length: 176 pages
Publication date: April 3, 2012
Source: library

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy Confessions of a Scary Mommy from Amazon (Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit the Scary Mommy website and like it on Facebook

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I find that a lot of 'mommy' lit only scratches the surface. I was hoping for more with this one, but I guess it isn't meant to be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson