Sea State by Tabitha Lasley


The backstory: Sea State is the debut by Scottish journalist Tabitha Lasley

My thoughts: This gorgeous book, part memoir and part journalism, is difficult to describe. It is both deeply personal, raw, and honest about life, love, and the passion and reality of an affair. It's also a fascinating exploration of the work and home lives of the men who work on oil rigs off the coast of Northern Scotland. How do men, Lasley wonders, act when there are no women around? The writing is extraordinary.

Favorite passage: "I couldn't say what I wanted, because what I wanted resided deep down, in a place under language, a register that lost everything in translation."

Rating: 4.5/5
Length: 220 pages
Publication date: December 7, 2021
Source: my local public library

Want to read for yourself? Buy Sea State from an independent bookstore, Bookshop.org or Amazon (if you must), or find a copy at your local library.  

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?