book review: Strangers at the Feast by Jennifer Vanderbes

Strangers at the Feast: A NovelThe backstory: I saved Strangers at the Feast to read over Thanksgiving, when the book is set, even after everyone has been gushing about it.

The basics: Strangers at the Feast is the story of three generations of the Olson family on Thanksgiving day.

My thoughts: I adore novels told from multiple points of view, and Jennifer Vanderbes did a fantastic job with these characters. The reader is drawn into their present lives and treated to backstory and family history. For such a short novel, Vanderbes was able to manage an immense amount of depth for all of the characters. I often find myself identifying with one character more than others in multiple narrator novels, but this novel was completely balanced.

Foreshadowing was prominent throughout the novel, and it was clear something bad happened on Thanksgiving. Despite my eagerness to solve the mystery, there were no unnecessary diversions. I was as invested in the characters and the story. I read the book in a single sitting and was truly sad when it ended.

The verdict: Strangers at the Feast is a perfectly crafted, suspenseful, character-rich novel. Recommended for just about everyone.

Rating: 4.5 stars (out of 5)
Length: 352 pages
Publication date: August 3, 2010
Source: I received this book for review from the publisher

Buy Strangers at the Feast from Amazon.
Buy Strangers at the Feast from an independent bookstore.

Shop Indie Bookstores
As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. The more I hear about this book, the more I want to read it! It sounds like a perfectly melded narrative and like a story that would get it's claws into me rather quickly. I am off to see if I can score my own copy now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read so many wonderful reviews of this one -- I'm so glad to hear that you liked it as well! Strangely, I'm also taken in by the cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a chance to read this one and enjoy it as I did. Great review Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great review of this book -- clearly, I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this book was fantastic too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And yet ANOTHER review that makes me want to read this book which arrived a couple of months ago and needs a read and review!! Thanks for such a great review!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley