Thursday Salon: Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is one of the few days of the year I look forward to waking up early (and by early I mean before 9 a.m.) For reasons that baffle even those who know me best, I adore watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC. Yes, it's horribly commercial, silly and cheesy, but there is something magical about it I've never quite outgrown. My favorite part is always the showtunes from current Broadway shows, but I love the floats adorned with teen pop stars I've never heard of, the high school marching bands, the Rockettes, and, yes, the balloons. Today, I'm sitting ready with a glass of sparkling wine, a cinnamon roll (or three) and a giant smile on my face.

After the parade, I'm enjoying Thanksgiving dinner with family and settling in to read. I saved Strangers at the Feast by Jennifer Vanderbes, a novel set on Thanksgiving Day, to read this week, but I managed to finish it yesterday because I could not put it down. Today I hope to enjoy The Orange Eats Creep by Grace Krilanovich and perhaps make time for A Spell of Winter by Helen Dunmore or Lord of Misrule by Jaimy Gordon too.
A Spell of Winter: A NovelStrangers at the Feast: A NovelThe Orange Eats CreepsLord of Misrule

I'll be offline for a few days, but I'll be back next week with reviews of Freedom by Jonathan Franzen, Strangers at the Feast by Jennifer Vanderbes, and whatever else I'm able to finish in the next few days.

What are you reading today?


As an Amazon affiliate, I make a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on any of the above links. Thanks!

Comments

  1. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I have every intention of reading some Chronicles of Narnia, but with all of my siblings at home, I never end up getting much reading done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you too! I will be flitting between multiple books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving Carrie! I didn't get any reading done, though I bought a ton of books with me to my mom's house. I hope you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did your Thankfully Reading Weekend go? I hope you read at least one fantastic book.

    Here's my post about my experience: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/11/sunday-salon-thankfully-reading-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoyed yourself immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG do I see a Care Bears float?! I used to love them when I was little :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley