Waiting on Wednesday: The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt by Caroline Preston

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine to highlight an upcoming release we can't wait to read. 

My pick this week comes from an author whose diverse works I've thoroughly enjoyed over the years: Caroline Preston. I discovered her first novel, Jackie by Josie, about a woman doing academic research on Jackie Kennedy, at my local library when I was in high school and utterly adored it. Her second novel, Lucy Crocker 2.0, about a woman who designs video games despite having no knowledge of technology, lived on my shelves for years (and moved a few times) before I finally stayed up late to read it at my mother-in-law's house the week Mr. Nomadreader and I moved to New York. I read her third novel, Gatsby's Girl, a fictionalized account of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ginerva Kelly, who served as a muse for the character of Daisy Buchanan, as soon as it was published in 2006. 

When I heard Caroline Preston (finally!) had a new book coming out, I was downright jubilant. Here's what some well-known authors had to say about The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: A Novel in Pictures:

"What an amazing, creative, funny, thoughtful dip into the life and times of the inimitable Frankie. I know I'll come back to Preston's wonderful creation time and again; for its color, warmth, and whimsy. It's a very, very clever novel." - Jacqueline Winspear

"The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt is like reading your favorite flapper great-aunt's diary. It's a ripping yarn of emancipated girlish adventure." - Audrey Niffenegger

"[H]ave I just read/experience/devoured the most delightful book ever published?...There is magic here and genius. I marveled at every page: at first, the astonishing collection of souvenirs and memorabilia and then the story--so wry and smart and literary and historically fascinating." - Elinor Lipman 

"A literary bottle rocket--loaded with whimsy, pizzazz and heart. The illustrations are compelling and original, and the prose is perfection in the hands of Caroline Preston...I heartily recommend." - Adriana Trigiani

Doesn't it sound fantastic?

Ecco is publishing The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt on October 25, 2011. I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy! You can pre-order a copy from an independent bookstore, the Book Depository or Amazon now. There's no pre-order link for the Kindle (yet).

As an affiliate, I receive a very, very small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. This book sounds rather interesting, and I just love the cover! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover too. It looks like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She does sound like a pretty diverse author and interesting too.
    Have a Happy Easter!
    Joy at Books and Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one does sound good and another one I haven't heard of! My wishlist just keeps on getting longer and longer...

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I had a copy of JACKIE BY JOSIE at one time. Never read it and don't think I still have it. I'll have to look for the books you mentioned. The cover of this new one says a story in pictures (clicked over to Amazon). Sounds intriguing. I'll be on the lookout and thanks for the headsup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How curious that book would be? Great pick.

    Wonderful pick that is bound to be full of wonderful words. Stop by to see what I am waiting for! http://ikissbooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/wow-goddess-test.html

    Black Disaster Fairy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some eclectic tastes. This author sounds so quirky. Now this is a real fresh read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of this author before, her books sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A new to me author and title! It's definitely out of my comfort zone. I'll have to add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A totally new to me author but I'm super excited now -- I've got a hardcore want for this and Gatsby's Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Jackie by Josie and remember liking it alot...this new one intrigues me...anything involving "flappers" sounds goot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How amazing is that cover!! Thank you for this I will keep a look out for it.

    Pop past our blog to say hi!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley