Waiting on Wednesday: Ghost Lights by Lydia Millet

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine to highlight a non-yet-released book you cannot wait to read.

Ghost Lights: A NovelMy pick this week is the latest novel from Pulitzer Prize finalist Lydia Millet: Ghost Lights. I first encountered Millet last year when I read the 2010 Pulitzer Prize winner and finalists. Despite not being a huge fan of short stories, I thoroughly enjoyed Love in Infant Monkeys (my review) and several of the stories have stuck with me over the past year. When I heard Ms. Millet had a novel coming out in October, I was thrilled. Her writing is gorgeous, observant and hilarious, and I cannot wait to read Ghost Light. Here's how the publisher describes it:
"Hal is a mild-mannered IRS bureaucrat who suspects that his wife is cheating with her younger, more virile coworker. At a drunken dinner party, Hal volunteers to fly to Belize in search of Susans employer, T.--the protagonist of Lydia Millet's much-lauded novel How the Dead Dream--who has vanished in a tropical jungle, initiating a darkly humorous descent into strange and unpredictable terrain."
I haven't read How the Dead Dream yet, but I will be soon, and perhaps it will help me bide my time until W.W. Norton releases Ghost Lights  on October 24, 2011.  You can pre-order it from Amazon now (no word on a Kindle release yet.)

Have you read other Lydia Millet books? What else should I stop and read in anticipation of Ghost Lights?

As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. This one has been added to my wish list. Love the sound of it Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds quite interesting. I am not familiar with this author, but your description of her writing is enough to make me want to try her work :)
    Hope you enjoy it when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely intrigued by this one. Do you think it would be necessary to read How the Dead Dream first? Or do you think it's more of a plot device and not an integral part?

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I haven't read anything by this author, this sounds like an exciting and very tempting tale.

    Hope you enjoy it.

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does sound pretty good, and although I haven't read anything by this author, it sounds like she is one to watch. I am going to have to add this book to my list. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of this one. I'll add it to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this one but it does sound like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of Millet's books yet but I do have an ARC of The Fires Beneath the Sea in my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You don't *have* to read HtDD for plot and character preparation but read more Millet to prepare for Ghost Lights just cause of the beauty. I suggest My Happy Life and HtDD to prepare and then Oh Pure & Radiant Heart after! (Speaking as the guy who published most of her books!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for chiming in Richard! I picked up How the Dead Dream from the library and am looking forward to it. I'm eager to explore more of Ms. Millet's backlist, so I appreciate the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson