book review: Down from Cascom Mountain by Ann Joslin Williams

Down from Cascom Mountain: A Novel
The basics: Ann Joslin Williams sets her debut novel (she has a collection of linked stories, The Woman in the Woods) in the rugged mountains near fictional Leah, New Hampshire, a town created by her father, Thomas Williams. Down from Cascom Mountain is mostly the story of Mary, who grew up on the mountain with a famous writer father, and has now returned.

My thoughts: Although the story starts with Mary, once the novel falls into its own patterns, Mary shares the narration with Callie, a remarkable sixteen-year-old working on the mountain this summer; and Tobin, a gifted but troubled teenager who grew up on the mountain. It's a refreshingly real motley crew of characters, and I enjoyed getting to know all of those who spent the summer on Cascom Mountain.

Williams captures the mountains of New Hampshire in a lyrical way that will resonate with readers familiar with New England as well as those who aren't. It's a lushly written novel full of description of the place as well as its people. It's emotionally raw, and despite how much I was enjoying it, there were a few times (in the two days it took me to read it) I had to stop and let the characters rest for a moment. Still, while I was reading this novel, the characters were always in my thoughts.

Favorite passage: "Still, you couldn't ever let go entirely, you still had to believe that someday, somewhere, all that was missing would somehow appear and come out right. Even when you knew, you knew, what you were looking for was just an illusion, a dream, a hope, a myth. And what was truly possible might be in places you never thought to look before. Or had looked, but hadn't seen."

The verdict: As much as I enjoyed the experience of reading this novel, the end result didn't quite come together for me emotionally. Rather, the storylines came together a little bit too much. With novels that feel as real as this one did, I wish the ending weren't quite as neat. It's an incredibly personal, small quibble, but it kept this novel from being a 5-star read. Still, I will eagerly await the next novel from Ann Joslin Williams and highly recommend it.

Rating: 4.25 stars (out of 5)
Length: 336 pages
Publication date: June 7, 2011
Source: I received a copy for review from the publisher via TLC Book Tour (see the full tour schedule)

Learn more about Ann Joslin Williams on her website.

Treat yourself to a copy from Amazon (Kindle version) or an independent bookstore.As an affiliate, I receive a very, very small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I'm looking forward to reading this book after your review and a couple of others. Very interesting and thanks for holding a contest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound like it's a really atmospheric read, though the ending ties up rather too nicely. I loved your review and have entered your great giveaway. Thanks for hosting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see you enjoyed this one too - Like you, I found the characters wonderful and they stuck with me (I found myself worrying about them!). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, this book is set in a fictional town called Leah? That's my name! I need to read this now, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one looks good, but the issue you raised about the tidy way things come together, would weigh heavily with me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had that experience of having to let the characters 'rest' for a while if I find myself getting almost too emotionally invested in whatever I'm reading. Must be the curse of an active imagination ;-)

    Thank you so much for being on the tour!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley