graphic novel review: Lost at Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malley

The backstory: Heidenkind thoughtfully reviewed this graphic novel the month before the read-a-thon, and I opted to start my read-a-thon with it. Bryan Lee O'Malley also wrote the Scott Pilgrim graphic novel.

The basics: Lost at Sea is the story of Raleigh, a young girl on a road trip from California back to Canada.

My thoughts: Looking for a graphic novel to read during the next read-a-thon? This one is perfect. First of all, it's about a road trip, which is a favorite theme of mine. Second, it's quite short (I read it in less than an hour, which was an excellent 8 a.m. boost.) Third, although I found the end bizarre, I really liked the experience of reading it and thoroughly enjoyed most of the book.

I won't spoil the ending, although it's not an ending with a shocking twist or surprising turn. It's more of an odd and unexpected turn. The rest of the story, however, is fascinating. The reader begins the novel on the road trip and slowly pieces together how the characters know each other, how they came to be on this trip together and who exactly Raleigh is. I'm a big fan of this narrative device, and it was especially fascinating to see it in a graphic novel.

The verdict: Although I wasn't wild about the ending, I thoroughly enjoyed most of this graphic novel. It was a wonderful way to start the read-a-thon, and I will be making time for the Scott Pilgrim series soon.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Length: 168 pages
Publication date: December 22, 2003
Source: library

Treat yourself! Buy Lost at Sea from Amazon.

As an affiliate, I receive a very, very small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Well, now that you mention the strange ending, I want to check it out and see for myself! I haven't read any other books by this author, but might start here. Great review on this one. Very forthright and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice -- I like graphic novels now and then (I need to find your review of Habibi because I've heard mixed things about it). This one sounds charming -- and now I'm curious about the ending as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your review! I at heard of this one but somehow lost track of what list I put it o. Now that my library has it I will be reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley