This year, as I contemplate how incredibly different my life is than this time last year (is it possible I was still in grad school and fretting about pending unemployment this time last year?), I'm quite moved by the spirit of Thanksgiving and giving thanks. Here's an (abbreviated) list of things I'm thankful for:
- Mr. Nomadreader: he's my best friend, my husband, and my favorite person to be with. I love him, his kindness, patience and the utter joy he brings to life.
- My job: it challenges me in the best ways, fulfills me, pays the bills and provides the perks of work-life balance I need. I'm grateful to have it, and I'm grateful to have times like this five-day weekend away from it.
- My blog: I am so thankful to share my love of reading with all of you. As an extroverted reader, I especially cherish the discussions that begin here. Thank you for reading, and thank you for staying with me when I take unexpected week-long breaks like I did the past week (where did the time go?)
- Home: As much as I love to travel, I'm incredibly grateful to be staying home this holiday. My parents and grandmother are coming over, and the crock pot has been slaving all night to cook that sure-to-be-delicious pork shoulder (we're not really a turkey family).
- Winter: it's my favorite time of year. I love the anticipation of Christmas, snow and the cool temperatures. I find the cold invigorating, and I cherish this time of year for so many reasons.
I'm off to enjoy the parade and a lovely afternoon with family. I hope to spend some time with Kristin Hannah's Winter Garden (a book club read) today too. The wintry mood is perfect for this time of year, and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it so far.
Now tell me: what are you thankful for this year?