Waiting on Wednesday: Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear

Jill from Breaking the Spine hosts Waiting on Wednesday, which allows bloggers to highlight an upcoming release we can't wait to read.

My pick this week should come as no surprise to readers who have seen me read and enjoy the first eight Maisie Dobbs novels in the ppst year. My reviews of the first eight novels: Maisie DobbsBirds of a FeatherPardonable LiesMessenger of TruthAn Incomplete Revenge, Among the Mad, The Mapping of Love and Death, and A Lesson in Secrets.

The ninth installment, Elegy for Eddie, will be published March 27, 2012, which is too far away for my taste, but quality mysteries do take time! Plus, for those of you who haven't discovered the delightful Maisie Dobbs, you have time catch up! Here's how the publisher describes this one:
"In this latest entry in the acclaimed, bestselling mystery series-"less whodunits than why-dunits, more P.D. James than Agatha Christie" (USA Today)-Maisie Dobbs takes on her most personal case yet, a twisting investigation that will take her across London, from her childhood neighborhood to the highest echelons of power.

Early April, 1933. To the costermongers of Covent Garden-peddlers selling fruit and vegetables on the streets of London-Eddie Pettit was kindness itself. A little "slow," he was a gentle soul, more boy than man, with a gift for calming the most challenging horse. His recent death in a violent accident has shocked his friends and neighbors. They believe Eddie was the victim of foul play, but the police won't investigate. Their only hope of finding the truth is Maisie Dobbs.

Maisie has known these men from childhood when her father, Frankie, worked alongside them. Determined to do right by Eddie, she plunges into the investigation. The search for answers begins amid the working-class streets of Lambeth, where Eddie lived. But before long, Maisie is following threads of intrigue to a powerful press baron, a "has been" politician lingering in the hinterlands of power named Winston Churchill, and to the doorstep of a writer who is also the husband of her dearest friend, Priscilla.

The story of a London affected by the march to war years before the first gun is fired, and of an innocent victim caught in the shadow of power, Elegy for Eddie is one of Jacqueline Winspear's most poignant and affecting novels yet in her superb bestselling series."
I'm eagerly awaiting Elegy for Eddie, but in the meantime, I'm really enjoying Jacqueline Winspear's new blog.

Elegy for Eddie may not be out until March 27, 2012, but you can pre-order it from Amazon in hardback or for the Kindle (I have!)

As an affiliate, I receive a very, very small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Oh, this looks like a great addition to the series! I hope you get the chance to read it and report back on it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear a lot of people raving about the Maisie Dobbs series...I must check these books out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great series, and a new book in a series you love is always great.


    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel! I love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and those take about 3 years to come out!! Glad your wait is somewhat almost over!!

    Jess @ Gone with the Words :) (Waiting on Wednesday!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm going to take this on over my winter holiday! :) Your enthusiasm has convinced me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a couple of questions for you concerning this series because I know you're the person to go to! I just started the 1st (about 100 pages in). So far, I'm finding that I'm looking forward to picking it up at night. However, some of the writing is a bit superfluous at times. I'm wondering if some of this is ironed out as the series progresses or if this is Winspear's style. Like I said, I like it but am wondering if I'll love it. Some statements just seem to be pretty obvious. I'm also curious as to whether or not they must be read in order. I have 1, 3 and 4 now. I'd like to refrain from getting 2 until after Christmas is over, but I don't want to move on to the next if it ruins something. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley