May 2012 goals

I've fallen out of the habit of writing monthly goal posts this year, largely because there's been a disconnect between when I read books and when I can post about them. I think I'm finally back on track, have my reading mojo back, and I'm completely caught up on reviews (the last two will post later this week!) With almost three months until the announcement of the Booker Prize longlist, I'm hoping to make progress on my 2012 reading goals I've been neglecting.

Here's what I hope to read (and review) in May:
  • finish my Orange Prize reading: I'm currently reading Esi Edugyan's Half Blood Blues, which will be my last title from the shortlist. Then I'll finish the seven lingering longlist titles. I hope to have them all completed and reviewed before the winner is announced May 30th. This year's shortlist has been stellar, and I've been enjoying the longlist too. I'm looking forward to having read all twenty titles for the first year ever!
  • begin the Independent Foreign Fiction shortlist: Thanks to the wonder of interlibrary loan, I've been able to track down copies of all six titles on this year's shortlist. I plan to read three this month and the other three in June. First up are Alice by Judith Hermann, New Finnish Grammar by Diego Marani, and From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjon. The winner will be announced in mid-May.
  • return to my personal Booker winner challenge: This year I plan to read all of the Booker Prize winners from 2000 to the present. This month I'll tackle Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Ang Lee's film adaptation comes out in December. 
  • return to my personal goal of reading (and re-reading) my favorite authors: I'll be re-reading Pearl Cleage's second novel, I Wish I Had a Red Dress, which is a sequel to What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day (my review) and Run by Ann Patchett.


Wish me luck! I've set this ambitious goal of fourteen titles, but I do have a week of vacation around the holiday weekend to help me finish! Now tell me: which of these titles should I move to the top of my May pile?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Luck! So glad you found your reading mojo and are back on track -- my personal life has settled down so I'm back -- or getting back -- to my reading/blogging schedule at last.

    Having finished (or soonly) the Orange shortlist, can you predict a winner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audra--the Orange Prize shortlist is phenomenal this year. I think any title could win. I'm pulling for Ann Patchett to the first two-time winner, but I'd be happy with any winner (and that's the first time I've been able to say that!)

      Delete
    2. I'm reading Patchett next week -- I'm very excited -- my first of her books! (Altho I realized we had talked about doing a book of hers together -- want to aim for July-ish for that? The Magician's Assistant?)

      Delete
    3. July sounds perfect for The Magician's Assistant. If I keep my planned pace of reading one of her books a month, I'll finish in August. Hope you love State of Wonder!

      Delete
  2. I loved Life of Pi, and listened to it on audio, which was an amazing experience, as the narrator was fabulous. I am so in awe over your plans to read all these prize winners, and long-listed books. It's so inspiring to me. I am in the middle of Wolf Hall, but had to put it down due to some upcoming commitments. Looking forward to picking it back up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be reading Wolf Hall in June and am looking forward to it, even though it's intimidated me so far!

      Delete
  3. You have some great books planned here! I also like to plan out what I'm going to read ahead of time. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey--I do tend to be more successful when I plan my reading, but it's nice to have a few months where I can read on a whim. For me, it's all about balance.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe you're going to read all of the Orange books, I'm impressed! What's your favourite one so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just a wee bit obsessed with the Orange Prize! The list has been really good this year. My favorite is still State of Wonder, which I read before the list was announced. With new discoveries: Painter of Silence and The Pink Hotel.

      Delete
  5. Great goals, Carrie! Looking forward to following along as you move through these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andi! I'm hoping returning to my monthly goal posts will make me more accountable to my reading goals!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE these goals you've set for yourself! I can't wait to see how you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amused! I hope you all can help keep me accountable:-)

      Delete
  7. If you haven't read Life of Pi yet, I'd read that ASAP!! It is just wonderful and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenners! I don't know how I've managed to never read it, but I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  8. What a terrific combination of titles: good luck with all your plans. They're bound to net you some new favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only a week into this month, and so far the three I've read have all been excellent. I hope the trend conitnues!

      Delete
  9. I plan on reading all the Orange shortlist titles as well, but not the longlist ones -- I'm not that ambitious!

    I did not know Life of Pi was going to be made into a movie -- so exciting. It's one of my favorite Booker winners by far!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle--enjoy the shortlist! I've finished it now and can honestly say I'd be happy with any of them winning. There have been quite a few gems on the longlist too, so I'm enjoying it immensely. I'll definitely have to push Life of Pi up my list!

      Delete
  10. I really, really, really want to read From the Mouth of the Whale. I think I'm going to have to ILL it, though. ugh.

    Life of Pi has been on my TBR list for ages. I bought it years ago and keep meaning to read it, but never do. I WILL read it before I see the movie, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you and I are in the same boat (ha!) with Life of Pi. I used to have a print copy and have had it on my Kindle for over a year. It must be read.

      Delete
  11. I like your Booker challenge - I had a similar idea but started at the beginning, and return to it sporadically. Like any award, there are some amazing books and some incredible duds. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! When I read the short and long list, I find the winner is sometimes among my least favorite! I may want to go onto all of them, but for now, my goal is 1980:-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley