Sunday Salon: ahhh

Have you ever had one of those nearly perfect days when all you really want to do is read, and you manage to pick books that fit your mood perfectly until you realize you've spent close to twelve hours reading? I had one yesterday, and it was absolutely blissful.

I started with an early trip to Trader Joe's, which allowed me to make some long overdue progress on my audiobook, Death of an Artist by Kate Wilhelm(it's safe to say I haven't made it to the gym in weeks months, and I rarely drive, so my audiobook listening has been suffering.) When I got home, I was eager to finish the last 25% of The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis. I was feeling so accomplished, I set out to complete some overdue chores while I finished Death of an Artist. Kate Wilhelm, I dedicate the state of my apartment to you.
        

After finishing a depressing historical novel and a somewhat sad mystery, I craved something different, so I picked up Stephanie LaCava's memoir An Extraordinary Theory of Objects. It was the perfect book for my mood, and I read it in its entirety before the sun went down. To keep my wondrous day of reading alive, I picked up Til You Hear From Me by Pearl Cleage. I craved the familiarity of a favorite author and was curious to see which of my beloved favorite characters showed in this installment of the West End. I opted to put on some holiday music, turn out the lights, drink a glass of wine and read on my Kindle Fire with only the Christmas tree lights on. It was heavenly. I faced the windows, hoping the long-awaited promised snowfall would start earlier (it didn't, but it's snowing big, beautiful flakes now!) Last night encapsulated everything I love about this time of year. I was firmly rooted in the moment, relaxing my body, enchanting my mind, and simply enjoying many of the things I enjoy most in life.

I finished Til You Hear From Me this morning and am a little sad I have only Pearl Cleage novel left to read. Today I'm planning to spend my time with The Clan of The Cave Bear, the December pick for The Backlist Book Club. If I make it to the gym or decide to do more cleaning today, I'll be starting Bossypants by Tina Fey on audio. December has been an exceptional reading month for me thus far. I've already read eight books this month (two were in progress before the month began), and I seem to be doing a wonderful job of picking the right book for my mood, which in turn has me finding as much time as I can to read.

Coming up on the blog this week:
  • review of A Possible Life by Sebastian Faulks
  • review of The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis
  • review of An Extraordinary Theory of Objects: A Memoir of an Outsider in Paris by Stephanie LaCava
  • review of Glaciers by Alexis M. Smith
  • review of Never Tell by Alafair Burke
  • review of Til You Hear From Me by Pearl Cleage
Now tell me: what are you reading (or up to) this beautiful, snowy Sunday?


As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. That sounds like a wonderful Saturday! It's rainy and gloomy here, which would seem like the makings for a good reading day...if I didn't have a very energetic five year old asking for things every two seconds! I did get through one chapter after church, though.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying my childless years immensely:-) Glad you got to sneak in some reading.

      Delete
  2. So envious of your Saturday. I haven't been able to do any long reading stints in a while. Well, when I was sick I did plenty but that was in a drugged-up, hallucinogenic state! I had a hard time remembering what I read!

    I spend the entire week wishing for the weekend and when it finally comes, I spend it doing errands. Clearly, my priorities are out of whack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti--that sounds like my fall. I have not made reading a priority on my weekends. Taking a two-hour busride twice last weekend forced me into it, and I planned this weekend to make a reading one. I did some chores and errands too--but listened to my audiobook! With two kids, however, I don't imagine I'd get nearly as much time to read on a Saturday.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had the perfect reading day … here's wishing you more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley