Sunday Salon: the holiday break reading binge

I confess: today feels like a normal Sunday. I haven't quite accepted that Christmas Eve is tomorrow or that I don't have to go to work again until January 2 (bless you, academia.) The one thing reminding me it's my annual (and glorious) holiday break reading binge: my overflowing reading pile. This week is when I scramble to try to read all of those books I've been meaning to read all year. If I spend my time reading while Mr. Nomadreader works reading, I can usually read a book a day.

I'm almost finished with Heather Lende's fascinating collection of essays about living in a small Alaska town, If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name. She has me dreaming of (and planning) a trip to Alaska, a destination I've wanted to visit for years. When I finish it, I'm really looking forward to devouring Colm Toibin's new novella, The Testament of Mary, in one sitting this afternoon. It might not be everyone's pick for Christmas reading, but I'm eager to see how Toibin paints an aging Mary as she reflects on her life, Jesus's life and her role in the foundation of Christianity.

I hope to spend the rest of the week with three new releases I've been meaning to read for months: Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close, Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple, and Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt, plus one new release I'm ecstatic has finally made its way to the U.S.: Me Before You by Jojo Moyes.


I'll continue to post this week as I try to finish reviewing all of the books I've read. I'm also working on my Best of 2012 list, although I'm still playing around with the format. This year I there are three authors who will have more than one title on the list, and I'm still deciding how to handle that. I'm pondering doing a best of awards by category rather than a straight ranking, but I haven't made a final decision yet. As always, I'll post my Best of 2012 on January 1. I consider all books I read in 2012, regardless of when they were originally published, so I keep reading until the clock strikes midnight on New Year's Eve!

Now tell me: what are you hoping to squeeze in before the New Year (in books or not)?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I've recently added Where'd You Go Bernadette and Tell the Wolves I'm Home to my list because I've read such good praise. Looking forward to your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Update: I loved Bernadette and still haven't made time for Tell the Wolves, but I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  2. I'm planning on lots of reading over the Christmas break too - I don't go back to work until the 7th Jan so I'm hoping to get through lots of books.
    I've heard great things about Me Before You, hope it lives up to expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, I can't wait to read about all the books you read over break!

      Delete
  3. I am so happy to be off until Jan 2 as well. One big perk of academia as you stated:)

    Hope you enjoy Tell the Wolves I'm Home. I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Lende's book a few years ago and loved it...it made me want to visit Alaska, too...a place I otherwise really have no desire to visit. I get cold too easily, my fingers would probably fall off. ;-)

    And two thumbs up on Tell the Wolves...that's one of my favorites of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear someone else loved Lende! I just picked up her second memoir and am looking forward to it.

      Delete
  5. There are so many books I want to squeeze in during my break between semesters! Why Nations Fail, House of Stone, Me Earl and the Dying Girl, and Narcopolis are just a few I'm hoping to read. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you, Vasilly! I hope you get to them all:-)

      Delete
  6. I'm trying to squeeze in one last book. Perhaps something light and doesn't require too much time to read! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your break!!! I'm also going to try to devote some of my break to reading. Life will be hectic in January as we're putting together the next issue of our alumni magazine. Cheers to good books and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers to a busy January at a job you love, Andi!

      Delete
  8. I hope you have a wonderful break. (By the way, Merry Belated Christmas but Happy Early New Year! I've been having blogging issues -- basically, no time to blog. HA!)

    I'm curious about the Bernadette book. I'm thinking of reading that in 2013. I'll look for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenners, I think you'd love Bernadette! I'll be reviewing it one of these days or weeks;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley