The Backlist Book Club: December 2012 pick

Welcome back to The Backlist Book Club! Yesterday we started discussing The Giant's House by Elizabeth McCracken (there's still time to chime in!)

Today comes the announcement of our December pick. When deciding what to pick for December, I wanted to go back into the 1980's. As I thumbed through my virtual stacks and TBR lists, the perfect pick hit me. It's a book I've been meaning to read for most of my life. If that sounds dramatic, indulge me for a moment. I have a vivid memory of one childhood visit to my grandmother's house where my father sat in the living room recliner and read this giant book All. Day. Long. I can't say what makes that literary memory stand out, but I've retained the sense that this book is one of those modern classics a grown up should have read. (I also don't recall if it was this one or another in the series.) Plus it's beloved by one of my favorite bloggers too: it's one of Jackie of Farm Lane Books favorite novels.


The December pick is: The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel, which was originally published in 1980. The novel takes place in the Ice Age and is the story of Ayla, a young orphan taken in by the Clan, even though her blond hair and blue eyes signify she's one of the Others.

Convinced? Get the book! Buy The Clan of the Cave Bear from an independent bookstore, the Book Depository, or Amazon (Kindle edition.)

You have all month to read it. I'll be starting it as soon as I finish my current read, and I'll review it sometime in the middle of the month. On Monday, December 31, I'll host a discussion. Then we'll ring in the new year with the announcement of the January 2013 pick!

Now tell me: will you be joining The Backlist Book Club this month? Is there a book you've been meaning to read for most of you life?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I've never heard of this series, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be too young! This series was huge in the 1980's, and my parents (who have pretty different taste) both loved it then.

      Delete
  2. Great to see you're reading this one - there are some slow sections in the beginning, but once you get past those you'll be hooked. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! When I was researching to see what bloggers had read and reviewed The Clan of the Cave Bear, I was thrilled to see you rated it so highly! Thanks, too, for the warning about slowness at the beginning.

      Delete
  3. Loved this series! (the prehistoric sex books, not to be confused with the Scottish sex books - Outlander. These books went all around the staff room years ago.)
    My sister and I started reading this just as her last books (not the most recent last book) was being released, so we didnt' have to wait ten years between books. I have the most recent one, but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley