audiobook review: Bossypants by Tina Fey

The backstory: As a huge fan of Tina Fey's work in television and film (I miss you like crazy, 30 Rock!), I was eager to see how her memoir/advice/humor book would fare. On the recommendation of Florinda at The 3 R's blog (among others), I opted to listen to the audio version, which Fey narrates herself.

The basics: Fey recounts her life and work with humor and a few tips for women.

My thoughts: One of the things I loved most about Tina Fey's performance reading this books were the little ways she adapted the text to clearly reference the audio. At times it was less obvious, such as when she referenced the audiobook you are listening to rather than the book you are holding. At other times, though, Fey would clearly deviate from the book to offer audio listeners an aside, particularly when referencing the photographs (which you get as a pdf with the audiobook.

Fey is often prone to self-deprecating humor, but in Bossypants she reserves most of that humor for her childhood and teenage years. When she speaks of her time in comedy, particularly in the more recent days of 30 Rock and Sarah Palin, there's a boldness I welcomed. Instead of making fun of herself, she turns the humor onto the masses, and I enjoyed these parts most.

The verdict: As someone who watched 30 Rock from the beginning and despaired its lack of popularity (particularly when compared to the comedies on television that are popular), I most enjoyed the behind the scenes glimpses into the show. I most respected the way Fey infused feminism with humor; too often feminism is quite serious, but as she does so brilliantly, Fey makes arguments for feminism with wisdom, absurdity and grace.

Rating: 4 out of 5
Length: 288 pages (5 hours 35 minutes of listening time)
Publication date: April 5, 2011
Source: free promotion at Audible

Convinced? Treat yourself!  Buy Bossypants from the Book Depository or Amazon (Kindle version.)

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I enjoyed this one too. I listened in one stretch on a Saturday afternoon and wished it was longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on audio but I have been putting it off. Something about Tina rubs me the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wholly enjoyed this and, even though I was listening to it in a horrid heatwave, always lengthened my walks by a good bit, just to sneak it a little more. (And, yes, those asides are such fun!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley