three mini-movie reviews

Between the more leisurely pace of summer (and my aversion to its heat) and giving up satellite, I've been watching a lot of movies (both with and without Mr. Nomadreader.) Here are my brief thoughts on some recent ones.

Snow White and the Huntsman
I am not one who is caught up in fairy tales or modern re-tellings, but I was curious to see this feminist version, and I'm glad I did. The film is escapist fun. The three leads, Charlize Theron, Kristen Stewart, and Chris Hemsworth (whom I lovingly call the talented Hemsworth), are fantastic, and they strike right the balance of seriousness and silliness. They're appropriately over the top at times, but it's never distracting. The entire film is a visual feast, and I was utterly entranced with it while I watched. Is it one that will stick with me for a long time? No, but it was entertaining, fun, and I'll gladly see the sequel.

Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Redbox

Your Sister's Sister
If you're looking for a classic independent romantic comedy, Your Sister's Sister is it. The conceit sounds like too much: after Jack's (Mark Duplass) brother dies, his best friend Iris (Emily Blunt) sends him to her family's island cottage to refresh. Unbeknownst to Iris, her lesbian sister Hannah (Rosemarie DeWitt) is there mourning the end of her seven-year relationship. After a night of drinking, Jack and Hannah have sex, and Iris comes up to surprise Jack the morning after. In the hands of less capable actors, particularly Blunt and DeWitt, who are equally fabulous and completely believable as sisters, perhaps it would be. There are some moments where the film strives too hard, but overall, it's a delightful love triangle of sorts, and it's examination of family, friendship and love are poignant and honest.

Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Netflix

Skyfall

It's fair to say I am not a huge fan of action movies. I get bored, even with beautiful action scenes, if there's not enough of a satisfying emotional story. Skyfall delivers on both counts. The stunts and travel scenes are majestic, but the emotional core of this film lies in Bond's backstory, and it's haunting and intriguing.

Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: library

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Skyfall was my first 007 movie ever (I know I live in a cave), but honestly, I really enjoyed it way more than I expected to --I humored my husband by going to see it when it first came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice reviews! I want to see all three -- I almost never see movies, for whatever reason -- my wife and I are chronic re-watchers of things -- but getting to see new things can be a challenge for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Skyfall but it was so dark. The darkest Bond movie yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot all about Skyfall! We've watched all the Daniel Craig ones on DVD so far. We don't have as much time in the evenings as we used to, and have fallen way behind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the visuals in Snow White and the Huntsman. The details didn't stick, but the soundtrack did!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley