book reviews: Ms. Marvel Vols. 2 & 3 by G. Willow Wilson

After enjoying the first volume of Ms. Marvel: No Normal, I was eager to continue with the series.

Ms. Marvel Vol. 2: Generation Why
If  the first volume had a weakness, it was a necessary one: Wilson had a world to build. Generation Why is able to pick right up where the action left off, and it covers a lot of ground. These collections feature several issues of the comics bound together. As someone who has never read traditional comics, I find the pacing interesting. Many of the issues end of cliffhangers, as the first volume did, but I was pleased this collection's ending felt like a satisfying end for a volume that's part of a continuing series.

Readers familiar with comics will find many familiar faces (I confirmed some with Mr. Nomadreader), but as relative Marvel neophyte, I never felt lost. Wilson manages to write for new and old fans simultaneously. Wilson also packs a lot of action into this volume. Thankfully, there is also a lot of character development. I enjoyed this one immensely.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Source: library


Ms. Marvel Vol. 3: Crushed
Crushed collects several volumes of Ms. Marvel as well as one volume of S.H.I.E.L.D. featuring Ms. Marvel. I was skeptical about the inclusion of something besides Ms. Marvel, but I found myself loving its inclusion (it comes last) and seeking out the first volume of its collection. (Does this make me a comics nerd?)

This volume begins with a Valentine's Dance. I appreciated the emphasis of distinguishing between Kamala and Ms. Marvel, particularly in terms of the rules Kamala's parents have for her. What could seem juvenile doesn't.

Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: library

Convinced? Start with Ms. Marvel Vol. 1: No Normal. Buy it from Amazon (Kindle edition.)

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson