Ummm...

Well, hello there! I'm still here, even if I haven't been around much on the blog (or even Twitter.) I haven't been reading much either. I've been reading lots of books, and I'm even enjoying most of them, but I haven't been spending much time reading, so I'm currently reading about eight different books and most days don't even pick one of them up. But. I think that's about to change. It has changed the past few days, as I so miss reading and talking about books. I'm finding new ways to prioritize reading again. As I've said many times in the almost ten months I've been a mom, "you find what works for you. Then it changes, and you do it again." And we are in the midst of some major changes.

Hawthorne will be ten months old this week. The last month has been quite eventful for him developmentally. He got really good at crawling, so I spend a lot time looking at his butt:

To his credit, he often looks back as though to see if it's okay he's doing what he's doing. And most of the time he's fine. As we are very tardy baby-proofers (obviously, some things we've done, but he keeps identifying new risks for us), it's nearly impossible to sit and read while he plays and explores. His latest accomplishment is standing. He can pull himself up like a champ, but as soon as he reaches for the object he most desires, he only manages to stay standing for a few seconds, as he needs his hands to help steady himself with his proportionately giant head. So there are some tumbles and snuggles. And I spend too much time waiting to catch him when he falls from his unsure standing. I'm sure we'll finish baby-proofing and fall into new routines soon, but until we do, I spend a lot time watching him playing instead of reading while he plays.

Hawthorne and I took a six-hour (each way) road trip this weekend to Beloit, Kansas for the grand opening of Kettle, a coffee, wine and craft beer bar. It's the brilliant idea of one of my college roommates, and I'm so glad we could be there to support her. And I'm also glad the nomadbaby is living up to his nickname and is not only an accomplished plane traveler, but now can say he's a a good roadtripper too:

I hope things will be back to yet another new normal around here this week. I still have a back log of reviews to write and publish, and look for the first tomorrow. It's a six-star read and my favorite book of 2015 (so far.)

Now tell me: what have you been loving lately? I'm ecstatic Ali Smith won the Baileys Prize, even if I still haven't finished reading the short list, let alone the longlist!

Comments

  1. Sounds as though you've been having fun! Hawthorne's T-shirt is perfect for your travels. Travelling with little ones is hard so it is good to see you're getting him used to it and enjoying yourself. I'm so pleased you were able to support your roommate on her special day. I look forward to finding out what your book of the year so far is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! I can't imagine traveling with more than little one, especially when we travel alone.

      Delete
  2. Oh do enjoy these days! Babies grow so fast and soon he will be toddling around and even more mobile. You'll have time to read more later. (Says the mother of a 32-year-old). Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been reading much or blogging at all lately but I don't have a great excuse! I am very much looking forward to your review tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean--he does sleep 12 hours at night and nap, so I could certainly still make some time to read. I won't let Hawthorne take all the blame!

      Delete
  4. It really is about adapting all the time. And even now that my daughter is 14, her schedule is so crazy that I still have to read around that. It's all worth it, though. Hawthorne is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna--glad to know my skills of adaptation will keep bearing fruit for many years (and thank you!)

      Delete
  5. Traveling with young'uns is never easy, but we found that the more often you do it, the easier it gets on everyone. The babies learn that to handle long car trips or plane rides when you cannot stop what you are doing and take him/her out of the car seat, and you get more adept at knowing what you need. It's a win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are exposing Hawthorne to so many fun adventures. Such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley