Happy August!

Well, July is done. At the beginning of the month, I told you about my mind and body challenge. August is a new month, so I'll focus on the positives and where I want to go from here.

  1. Exercise: In July, I did 44 miles on the elliptical. That's more than any month except January, when I managed 53. Seven and a half months into my fitness journey, and that's something worth celebrating. It's also worth noting the pitiful 2 miles I put in during the entire month of June helped kick start the fitness part of this challenge. Every day I worked out, I did 3 (or more) miles. I'm proud of that. Here's what I'm not proud of: I haven't been to the gym since July 16th. 
  2. Reading: I have my reading mojo back. I read fourteen (!) books. And I have less than an hour left in my audiobook, so if we didn't have houseguests, I would have finished fifteen books. Did I read for an hour each day without looking at my phone? Not after the first week. It turns out that's easier to do when I'm home alone. But I read for more than an hour most days. I re-prioritized reading in ways that feel sustainable. 
  3. Drinking: The first half of July I did really well at what I thought might be the hardest of the these three challenges. So I'm excited about the progress I made, even if I fell into summer habits the second half of the month. 
It turns out July was a hard month. On July 13th, my grandmother died. It was expected and in many ways a blessing. She would have turned 97 this fall, and that's a lot of life. And yet emotions are unpredictable, and her death hit me in ways I wasn't expecting. More than once, my response to deciding to go to the gym or not have a second glass of wine was "fuck it, enjoy yourself!" And I did, and I'm okay with that. I worked out more, I read more, and I drank less. Those are three things worth celebrating, even if I didn't meet my challenge.

Here are my goals for August:
  1. Exercise: I want to do 60 miles. Realistically, that means 20 trips to the gym, with 3 miles each trip. I think that's doable. And it will be the most miles I've done since I started working out in mid-December.
  2. Reading: I want to read every day. I hope to read at least 10 books, but I have two chunksters I hope to read (Ducks, Newburyport and The Most Fun We Ever Had), so I don't want to focus on number of books. And for many good reasons, some days I read more than others, so I don't want to standardize my different types of days.
  3. Blogging: I want to write 10 posts.
Fingers crossed for August and my 60-10*-10 challenge!


As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. So sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing. It takes a lot out of you, doesn't it? But 96! Wow.
    I never had a grandmother, really. Genetically I did but she wanted nothing to do with me but I have many a friend who have such wonderful relationships with theirs. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson