Bookish event round-up

Book Blogger Holiday Swap
I participated in last year's holiday swap and had so much fun. The deadline to sign up is tomorrow, November 14, so don't delay.

Questions? The FAQ is a wealth of information about what to expect.



A Year of Feminist Classics Reading Project
Amy, Iris, Ana and Emily Jane have a wonderful reading project set up for 2011. As someone who majored in women's studies as an undergraduate, I've read most of the selected books, but I'm looking forward to reading them again and having wonderful discussions about them. I also think it will be fun to compare my 2011 reading notes to my notes from college. I plan to read (or re-read) all twelve classics, but participants are welcome to pick and choose which books to read and discuss. I'm so glad these ladies have put in the time and effort to organize and host this reading project, and I hope you'll join us for some or all of the fun in 2011!


Here's the reading list:
January: A Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft
February: The Subjection of Women by John Stuart Mill and Harriet Taylor Mill
March: A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen
April: Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
May: A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
June: The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan OR The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer
July: The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
August: The Women's Room by Marilyn French
September: The Beauty Myth  by Naomi Wolf
October: Ain't I a Woman? by bell hooks
November: Gender Trouble by Judith Butler
December: Sisters Outsider by Audre Lorde

Comments

  1. I didn't know the Holiday Swap was still open. I think I may need to sign up.. As for joining us in our project, I'm so glad! I'm sure you know a loit more about the books than I do, having studied them! It promises to be a great discussion :) And thank you for spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for spreading the word about our project, Carrie! And I'm so glad you'll be joining us :) Like Iris I haven't studied most of these formally, so it'll be great to hear the input of someone who did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I just got the Women's Room from paperback swap so I will for sure join you for that month :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the Holiday Swap idea, and thank you so much for spreading the word about our Year of Feminist Classics project! Our reading list may be changing a bit to add some non-Western authors, June will be one of them. But I'm really excited that you've read a lot of them already - I'm sure you will have great things to add to the discussions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love the Holiday Swap! This is my second year of being involved, and I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley