Announcing the 2011 Indie Lit Awards

Last year, Wallace of Unputdownables founded the Independent Literary Awards (or Indie Lit Awards for short--or ILA for much shorter). Literary bloggers nominate no more than one book per category to form a shortlist. Then, the voting members read all the books on the shortlist and voted for a winner and a runner-up.

I'm thrilled to be a voting member for the 2011 Indie Lit Awards in the Literary Fiction category. My fellow voting members are Aths from Reading on a Rainy Day, Lyndsey from Amused, Bemused and Confused, and Meg from Write Meg. Melody from Fingers & Prose is the Literary Fiction Director, and she keeps us all in line.

The timeline for this year's awards is pretty simple: nominations will be open September-December 2011.Only literary bloggers are eligible to submit (and voting members may not nominate in the category for which they vote), and bloggers may submit one title per category. Titles published in 2011 are eligible. There are more categories this year too:
  • Biography/Memoir
  • GLBTQ
  • Literary Fiction
  • Mystery
  • Non-Fiction
  • Poetry
  • Speculative Fiction
In January and February 2012, voting members will read and discuss the shortlisted books (Directors cast the tie-breaking vote if necessary). Winners will be announced in March 2012.

Melody is compiling a fantastic list of literary fiction published in 2011, and she wants your help. I just added my three favorite books (so far) published in 2011: 
The Sweet Relief of Missing Children: A NovelThe First Husband: A NovelUntold Story: A Novel
The First Husband by Laura Dave
Untold Story by Monica Ali

I'll be posting on the Indie Lit Awards semi-regularly before the nominations period opens. Now tell me, what's the best literary fiction book published in 2011 that you've read?

As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. I LOVED An Atlas of Impossible Longing by Aradhana Roy and The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah. I'd love to see both of these get nominated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of these books. Thanks for putting them in the limelight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Sweet Relief makes it. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're on board this year! Love that the genres are making lists... nice to be in the second year and figure out what works best. This will really give people a chance to see what's out there in the new year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to be taking part as a voting member (memoir/bio) as well this year. I haven't read any of the books you mention below but sounds like I should!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Untold Story captured my interest right away -- mostly because the cover model looks like Princess Diana! (And, upon further research, that is Diana?) Adding it to my wishlist and looking forward to working with you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley