Sunday Salon: Wrapping Up September 2011

Happy Sunday, everyone! I'm having a hard time believing it's October with the unseasonably warm weather. This weekend, Mr. Nomadreader and I ventured to lovely Cape Cod for a family reunion. It's been a blissfully relaxing weekend, and I'm sorry to see it end. After a hectic month of traveling, however, I am looking forward to no upcoming trips and enjoying ourselves in Des Moines.

September was a wonderful reading month for me, and I have several reviews to catch up on the next few weeks! I managed to read thirteen books.

The Excellent (rated 4.5 stars or higher):


The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes (5 stars)
The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta (5 stars)
The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka (4.5 stars)
The Mapping of Love and Death by Jacqueline Winspear (4.5 stars)
Snowdrops by A.D. Miller (4.5 stars)

The Good (rated 4 or 4.25 stars):



Other People We Married by Emma Straub (4 stars)
Sister by Rosamund Lupton (4 stars)
Wherever You Go by Joan Leegant (4 stars)
Displaced Persons by Ghita Schwarz (4 stars)

The Somewhat Disappointing (rated 3.75 stars or less):



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows (3 stars)
The Admission by Amy Waldman (3 stars)
The Tyranny of Email by John Freeman (3 stars)
Waiting for Robert Capa by Susana Fortes (3 stars)

Plans for October
Today I'm planing to finish the latest Maisie Dobbs mystery, A Lesson in Secrets, which is quite enjoyable right now. I still have two of the Booker Prize shortlist to finish (Jamrach's Menagerie and Half-Blood Blues) before the winner is announced on October 18. I'm eager to start Jamrach's Menagerie tonight too. I'm also looking forward to the National Book Award finalists, which will be announced October 12. I'm planning on reading the five fiction finalists. One of the reasons I think I read so many books in September was having so few review commitments and scheduled readings. Aside from prize lists, I'm going to let myself read whatever strikes my fancy!

Happy reading! What are you most looking forward to in October?

Comments

  1. You did have a really great reading month! Lots of great titles there, and I am eager to see some of the reviews that haven't been posted yet as well. I am looking forward to the cooler weather coming in this month because it will mean that I can ride around on my bike during the day, which is something that I haven't been able to do since March! It seems to hover around 90 degrees here for most of the year, and it drives me nuts! I hope that October treats you kindly, and that you get a lot of new and great books read as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you read a lot of quality books in September. Quite a few of them are on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a satisfying reading month. I'm really excited to read The Leftovers! And I'm working on and enjoying Wherever You Go right now. I'm looking forward to wrapping up my review commitments in October so I have more free reading time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You read some fabulous books last month, and obviously enjoyed them as well. What's better than that? Have a great October as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Buddha in the Attic is a book I read recently and loved so much! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it too. I hope October is a great reading month for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see your thoughts on The Buddha in the Attic...I loved her first book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley