Loving the Des Moines Life: Diavolo

Last Saturday night Mr. Nomadreader and I attended the first of the three-part Dance Series at the Des Moines Civic Center. I'm a huge fan of dance, and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to see some of the best dance troupes without leaving Des Moines. One of the best parts about living downtown is being able to walk to cultural events. Because it was Saturday night, we decided to stay in and prepare a few small courses rather than be pressed for time at a restaurant. Unfortunately we gobbled up our goodies before I thought to take a picture, but we enjoyed the meal so much we'll be making all the pieces again soon. I contributed a tuna ceviche. I make it about once a month, and each time I vow to actually write down the recipe, as I tweak it a little bit every time. Mr. Nomadreader contributed our other monthly favorite: filet mignon carpaccio topped with freshly shaved parmesan cheese, arugula and drizzled with truffle oil. He also made delicious monkfish nuggets, which were lightly dipped in a panko tarragon batter. The meal was almost as divine as the dancing, which you really must see for yourself.



I was blown away. Mr. Nomadreader had to shush because I could not stop whispering "wow" as they continued to astonish me with their strength, grace and creativity. After the show, the dancers came out and answered questions from audience members who wished to stay. It was interesting to hear their diverse backgrounds and see how much they enjoy talking about what they do.

Convinced? See where Diavolo is touring next. Live in Des Moines? Don't miss out on the next two Dance Series performances: Royal Ballet Winnipeg dancing Moulin Rouge and Parsons Dance.

Comments

  1. Sounds like a perfect evening! That dance team is amazing! You always have so much fun! I love your foodie posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This almost reminds me a bit of Cirque du Soleil, which is something that my husband and I saw a few weeks ago. This video was so wonderful and amazing, and I am so glad that you got the chance to see it! The dinner sounds excellent as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen Cirque du Soleil, but if they're anything like Diavolo, I'll make sure I do if they come to town!

      Delete
  3. Gah, I'm so envious!! The show looks amazing -- I love dance as well -- and your dinner sounds divine!

    You're selling me on Des Moines, you know -- my wife and I keep talking about 'what if'...it's the first time another state has rivaled our desire to move to CA! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Zibilee, I'm reminded of Cirque du Soleil, which I adore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacques Heim directed Ka for Cirque :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley