Some Questions (and Answers)

There's been a meme of questions going around the book blogosphere. It involves questions, answers, rules and tagging. Perhaps you've seen it around? Both Melissa at The Avid Reader's Musings and Emily at The Alcove tagged me. I don't like the traditional rules, so I'm picking and choosing from both of their questions. Feel free to play along!

From Melissa:
How many times have you moved?
A lot. Twenty-one times by my count. Seriously! While I can credit my parents with letting me finish second grade in my third elementary school, most of those are on me. I've moved eight times since I finished college (and yes, I did attend two different colleges and took a year off, so I moved a lot in college too.) Did I mention Mr. Nomadreader and I lived in four states during the first two and a half years we dated? (In order: Georgia, Arizona, Iowa, and New York for those playing along at home.)

What movie should win the Best Picture Oscar this year?
I've only managed to see three of them, but thus far, I'm rooting for The Descendants. It explored the human condition beautifully. It was smart, funny and deeply moving.

Do you have a dream job? What is it?
Short of my fantasy job of getting paid to read, watch movies and travel, I have my dream job in the real world. Life is good:-)

Favorite Girl Scout cookie?
As I love to remind my husband, "I'm not much of a dessert person." But Samoas are delicious.

Guilty pleasure TV show you watch?
Oh so many: Revenge, Ringer, The Lying Game, The Real World/Road Rules Challenge (even though they just call it The Challenge now), Teen Mom (1&2), Big Brother (not every year) and Khloe and Lamar. But I watch a lot of PBS documentaries too!

What question do you hate it when people ask you?
Where do you see yourself in ten years? Seriously, people, has technology not told us we have no idea? My job didn't exist ten years ago. My blog didn't exist ten years ago. Etc.

Your favorite pet you've ever owned?
I had goldfish a few times. I'm not really an animal person.

What's the first book you remember reading?
I have no clear memory, but I do remember reading the first book my mom told me I couldn't (hi, Mom!) I somehow scored a copy of Playing with Fire, the third Sweet Valley High book. I think I was in second grade. I remember being shocked at some things, but I couldn't tell my mom, and I could only read at school when I finished my work early.

What's your favorite drink? 
Just one? If by favorite you mean drink most often, then I'm quite fond of Trader Joe's Vinas Chilenas Sauvignon Blanc Reserva (it's only $3.99!) I tend to go through phases of favorites. In terms of cocktails, I'm a martini drinker, and I love inventing new drinks with fresh ingredients. My usually adventures involve muddling an herb (cilantro, basil, or sage.) with fresh citrus and adding gin. In terms of traditional favorites: a Manhattan on the rocks and a dirty gin martini with Maytag blue cheese stuffed olives always work too.

What's one thing on your Bucket List?
I should write them all down at some point. Most, not surprisingly involve reading and travel. I want to read all of the books longlisted for the Orange Prize. I want to read all of the Pulitzer Prize winners. I want to read the 1001 Books to Read Before You Die. I want to go to Asia. I want to see as much of the world as I can.

From Emily:
Speaking of tag . . . what was your favorite playground game as a child?
I loved this ridiculous version of tag called Television Tag. I don't remember the precise rules, but I know my knowledge of television shows meant I didn't have to run around as much.

Do you reread books? Why or why not?
Not often. I re-read two books last year. Both were by Robert Ellis, and I wanted to re-read the first two in the series before the third one came out. I do plan to re-read  American Wife this year (my review.) I loved it so much when I first read it three years ago, and I call it my favorite book. I want to see if it can withstand a re-read and if my tastes have changed in the last three years!


What’s your favorite place to get books? Second favorite?
Digital review copies from Edelweiss and NetGalley rock my reading world. Second favorite: Kindle loans from my public library. I prefer to read on my Kindle, so anything I can do to make it cheaper to do so is good with me.

What literary character would you like to take out to coffee?
Alice Blackwell from American Wife. I adore her, and I want to meet her in real life. She fascinates me completely.

What’s your favorite odd food combination?

I put anchovies in just about anything. I love them. I love canned anchovies and snack on them straight from the tin. I love the fresh white ones. They are delightful with almost anything.


When you were a kid, you wanted to grow up and be a ____________.
A librarian. Seriously. I don't think I meant an academic librarian at the time, but one old family friend commented on my parents' Christmas letter a few years ago that I always talked about becoming a librarian when I was a kid, and I became one.

Pancakes or waffles?
Pancakes! Honestly, I rarely eat them because I usually fix eggs and bacon or fruit with oatmeal. But when I do eat pancakes...

Share one random fact about yourself we don’t know.
I don't like syrup. Instead, I spread butter, sprinkle fresh sugar, then add heavy whipping cream (not whipped cream; in liquid form.) I've been known to use half and half or soy milk in a pinch too. It's a central Kansas farm tradition (or so my family says.) Regardless, it's delicious!

Have more questions for me? I'll do my best to answer them here next Saturday. Leave them in the comments, email them to me, or tweet meNow that I'm done. I can make up my own rules, right? If you you'd like to answer any of all of these questions, in the comments or on a blog: consider yourself tagged. 


As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. It seems like all I'm reading lately are new books, but I have been meaning to read American Wife which is on my MUST read list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Read American Wife! I think you'd really like it:-)

      Delete
  2. I think I'm on house #16...most of my moves have been within the same couple of towns, though. In fact, we're considering moving again, and I'm starting to think of what I can get rid of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the one thing I like about moving--the impetus to get rid of stuff!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe how many times you've moved! I always wanted to be a librarian too. I worked as a page when I was i junior high and I loved it. Also, I am definitely going to try that wine from of Trader Joe's. It sounds so good. Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little surprised at the number too. I'm just glad the Mr. and I are ready to settle down geographically:-).

      Delete
  4. Wow, you've moved a lot but I can only imagine how many great experiences you've had as a result. I love this meme and the opportunity to get to know other bloggers better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen- that's a wonderful to say it. I have been blessed with learning a lot about people and places from all of my moving. It's definitely shaped who I am!

      Delete
  5. Oooh, I don't know if we can be friends anymore: I'm on Team Waffles ;) Love reading your answers! Thanks for playing along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not anti-waffle:-) I just like fancy pancakes a lot! Thanks for tagging me!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing! I love a little pancake with my syrup so not sure I can relate to not using it at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely get weird looks when I ask for cream and sugar for my pancakes but not my coffee! Although it's odd, once you try it, you will admit it's delicious:-)

      Delete
  7. I drooled a bit over your pancake mention. Heavy cream in liquid form is divine!! I loved it over strawberries, sprinkled with brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. TWENTY ONE TIMES?! Wow!! Though I guess if I count all of the different apartments I had throughout college I'd probably have a lot as well. So a move is to a different house? I guess 15 for me--most within the same town(s).

    And $4 chard? We're finally getting a Trader Joes somewhat near my home and I look forward to going. I have had the famed Two Buck Chuck.

    Fun to learn more about you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley