Sunday Salon: an extra hour

The Sunday Salon.comGood morning! It's the magical fall back weekend in the U.S., but I woke up refreshed at 7:30. That might have something to do with my inability to stay up until midnight last night. Still, having an extra weekend hour is a blessing, and I'll be using mine to read.

The response to the Backlist Book Club has been phenomenal so far. I'm looking forward to many backlist adventures! I've been enjoying this month's pick, The Giant's House by Elizabeth McCracken this weekend. I'm hoping to finish it today. I also noticed the due date stamps in the book (yes, my library still stamps books with due dates). Seeing a book this good had not circulated since 1999 gave me pause. It makes me so happy to highlight a backlist titled each month and bring titles back to the forefront of conversations about books. I hope you'll join me in reading The Giant's House this month.

I'm also reading This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz. I'm only two stories in so far, but as everyone has said, it's quintessential Diaz. For me, that means I like it, but I'm not shouting from the rooftops about his brilliance. I'm curious how I'll feel by the end of the collection.

Coming up on the blog this week (edit: or maybe next week!):
  • my review of Baby Brother's Blues by Pearl Cleage
  • my review of the film adaptation of We Need to Talk About Kevin (I loved the book)
  • my review of Defending Jacob by William Landay
  • my thoughts on Chicago Fire
  • my review of Ten Thousand Saints by Eleanor Henderson
  • my review of The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf and its impact on my life
I'm off to make coffee and snuggle in on the couch with The Giant's House and This Is How You Lose Her. What are you up to this Sunday?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. I listened to This is How You Lose Her read by the author (an excellent production). It took me a while to warm up to it, but the stories definitely grew on me... was even sad when it ended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a great Sunday morning! I haven't had a chance to read This is How You Lose Her but I'm hoping to do so before the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Backlist bookclub? What an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Diaz. I have yet to read his stuff, but I'll probably start with This Is How You Lose Her. And more cheers for the Backlist Book Club!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley