abandoned: A Golden Web by Barbara Quick

I don't often abandon books or movies. There are certainly times I start skimming pages or skipping sections of books, but I usually care enough to at least know what happens. I usually watch a movie all the way through, even if I start doing something else and leave it on in the background. This week, I encountered a book I could not get into at all.
A Golden Web
A Golden Web by Babara Quick comes out today, and I received an ARC through Traveling ARC Tours

Here's the publisher's description:
"Alessandra is desperate to escape. Desperate to escape her stepmother, who's locked her away for a year; to escape the cloister that awaits her and the marriage plans that have been made for her; to escape the expectations that limit her and every other girl in fourteenth-century Italy. There's no tolerance in her quiet village for Alessandra and her keen intelligence and unconventional ideas. In defiant pursuit of her dreams, Alessandra undertakes an audacious quest, her bravery equaled only by the dangers she faces. Disguised and alone in a city of spies and scholars, Alessandra will find a love she could not foresee -- and an enduring fame. In this exquisite imagining of the centuries-old story of Alessandra Giliani, the world's first female anatomist, acclaimed novelist Barbara Quick gives readers the drama, romance, and rich historical detail for which she is known as she shines a light on an unforgotten -- and unforgettable -- heroine"

I really wanted to like this book, but I only made it ten pages. I could not handle the language. Quick aimed for authenticity, and I don't know enough to know is she succeeded in historical accuracy, but the archaic language was too awkward for me to enjoy reading. A Reader's Respite recently had a wonderful post about modern vernacular in historical fiction. I never realized I had an opinion on the matter, and I'm still not sure how I feel about historic language in general.

Has anyone read A Golden Web? I'd love to add a link to yours!

Comments

  1. I've had that problem before. Sometimes you have to concentrate so much on trying to understand what they are trying to say that you can't get into the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like historical fiction,might try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson