young adult mini-review: Forbidden Sea by Sheila Nielson

Forbidden Sea
Publisher's Description: When Adrianne comes face-to-face with the mermaid of Windwaithe Island, of whom she has heard terrible stories all her life, she is convinced the mermaid means to take her younger sister. Adrianne, fierce-willed and courageous, is determined to protect her sister from the mermaid, and her family from starvation. However, the mermaid continues to haunt Adrianne in her dreams and with her song.

Yet, when the islanders find out about Adrianne's encounters with the mermaid she is scorned, for this small and superstitious community believes the mermaid will bring devastation to the island if Adrianne does not give herself to the sea. A powerful and lyrical story of one girl who must choose between having everything and having those she loves.

My take: While I appreciate Ms. Nielson's intention to write a mermaid book, it just didn't work for me. I had a really hard time getting into this book. I could not connect with the writing style or the characters. I couldn't connect with Adrienne, and I didn't care what happened to her. Even after reading the short publisher's description, I knew the entire plot. While some books can withstand a reader's knowledge, this one didn't. I was bored. I skipped a hundred pages and still knew what was going on.

To be fair, I am not the world's biggest fan of paranormal fiction. I love some of it, but I often get bogged down by the details I think are hokey. I'm not a young adult, and thus I'm not the target audience for this book, even I though I read and enjoy a lot of young adult literature. The bottom line: it didn't capture me.

Rating: 2 stars (out of 5) - I like the idea of the book, but not the book itself
Pages: 302
Release date: July 1, 2010
Source: ARC from Around the World Tours

Want a completely different take?
Have you read it? Let me know and I'll link your review too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson