2011 Reading Goals

Happy New Year!


I'm really proud of my reading in 2010. My goal was to read deliberately, and I loved it. I'm continuing some of my goals from 2010 and adding a few new ones for 2011.


1. Read all the Orange Prize winners
I'll read one a month to finish the 12 winners I haven't read yet.
Larry's PartyA Crime in the Neighborhood: A NovelWhen I Lived in Modern TimesThe Idea of PerfectionBel Canto (P.S.)PropertySmall Island: A NovelWe Need to Talk About Kevin: A Novel (P.S.)On BeautyHalf of a Yellow SunThe Road Home: A NovelHome: A Novel


2. Finish the 2010 Orange Prize longlist
I'll read one a month (with two titles in one month) to read the 13 longlisted novels from 2010.
Small Wars: A NovelThe HelpHearts and MindsThe Little StrangerThis is HowThe Twisted HeartThe Rehearsal: A NovelSecret SonThe wildingThe Still Point: A NovelSavage LandsBlack Mamba Boy: A NovelThe Way Things Look to Me


3. Read 12 Shakespeare plays
Most of my reading deliberately focused on current fiction last year, but I want to expand my reading of classics. I'll pick one Shakespeare play to read each month.
Hamlet (The New Folger Library Shakespeare)Macbeth: Oxford School ShakespeareOthello (Folger Shakespeare Library)Twelfth Night (Folger Shakespeare Library)Julius Caesar (Folger Shakespeare Library)A Midsummer Night's Dream (Signet Classics)The Merchant of Venice (Folger Shakespeare Library)As You Like It (The New Folger Library Shakespeare)The TempestKing Lear (The New Folger Library Shakespeare)Much Ado About NothingThe Taming of the Shrew (Shakespeare, Signet Classic)


4. Year of Feminist Classics
I'm looking forward to these fourteen books!


5. 1001 Books to Read Before You Die
I finally broke down and bought myself the latest edition of 1001 Books to Read Before You Die after being inspired by the newly updated and more international friendly list.  I'm reading the books written before the 1700's. There are 21 of them. Most months I'll read two but some months (ahem, The Tale of Genji, I'll only read one.) Yes, I do plan to read all 1001, but I'm giving myself 40 years to do it.


6. 2011 Pulitzer Prize for Literature
Once again, I'll read the two finalists and winner of this year's Pulitzer (announced in April.)


7. 2011 Orange Prize Longlist
I'm determined to read all 20 longlisted books this year (announced in mid-March.)


8. 2011 Booker Prize shortlist
I may attempt to read the longlist too, but I'll wait to see (announced in July)


9. 2011 National Book Award for Fiction 
I will read the five finalists (announced in October)


10. Have fun!
Every book is not for everyone, and as much as I want to strive to reach these goals, I want to enjoy my reading and feel accomplished. I hope to add many other "just because" reads in between.


What are your 2011 reading goals?
As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. Wow, those are a lot of reading goals! Good luck! And happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Iris! Another important reason for the last one: to have fun! Happy 2011 to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some fantastic reading ahead for 2011: hope you find lots of new favourites amongst them, and I look forward to reading your responses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an ambitious list of goals, and worthy, too! I'll join you in the Pulitzer list at least. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness- I freaking love your goals! I can't wait to see what you think of all of these books :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great goals! Especially excited about the Feminist Classics books, and Adichie! My favorite author, I hope you love the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great lists! I've read and loved so many past Orange Prize winners. I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson