graphic novel review: The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger

The Night BookmobileThe backstory: I thoroughly enjoyed Niffenegger's previous illustrated novels The Adventuress (my review) and The Three Incestuous Sisters (my review), so I was eager to read her latest graphic novel as soon as I heard about it.

The basics: Alexandra goes for a walk one night and discovers a bookmobile. When she enters, she finds every book she's ever read, including her diary and textbooks. It's her personal library. 

My thoughts: The Night Bookmobile is a quick, enchanting read book lovers will certainly enjoy. Niffenegger's trademark creepiness sneaks in, and I loved it. It's a daring story with hints of sweetness and sadness. 

Favorite passage: "Have you ever found your heart's desire and then lost it? I had seen myself, a portrait of myself as a reader. My childhood hours spent in airless classrooms, days home sick from school reading Nancy Drew, forbidden books read secretively late at night. Teenage years reading--trying to read--books I'd heard were important. Naked Lunch and The Fountainhead, Ulysses and Women in Love...It was as though I had dreamt the perfect lover, who vanished as I woke, leaving me pining and surly." 

The verdict: If you're a book lover, treat yourself to this haunting, enchanting tale of how what we read shapes us.

Rating: 4.5 stars (out of 5)
Length: 40 pages
Publication date: September 1, 2010
Source: my local public library

Treat yourself! Buy The Night Bookmobile from Amazon or an independent bookstore.


Shop Indie Bookstores As an  affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. I'm a recent and reluctant convert to graphic novels. In fact, I was totally against them until I read "Ethel and Ernest" by Raymond Briggs and discovered that they could be more than "comic books for teens too lazy to read".

    This one sounds amazing. I already ordered it through the library. Thanks for the review and for nudging me along on my graphic novel journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept of this book, and really want to give it a try. I am not a huge reader of graphic novels, but I have read and enjoyed a few. I think this is one for the list. Thanks for the excellent review and for the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I thought this book was much scarier than it apparently is. I'd like to try some more graphic novels, so I'll definitely look for this one! What a cool premise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read this one. I enjoy Three Incestuous Sisters, too, and this one looks even more magical (and I'm looking forward to a tidbit of creep factor). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the only person I know who didn't love this book! I enjoy dark stories, but the twist at the end really turned me off.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson