Sunday Salon: On taking the nomad out of nomadreader?

Why hello there! Things have been mighty quiet around here lately, and I'm finally ready to tell you why. After moving four times in the six years I've been blogging (yes, I opted not to celebrate my 6th blogoversary this March!), Mr. Nomadreader and I are once again moving. But this time may very well be the last time. Ever.

We're under contract on a house and cleared all of those important hurdles of inspection, appraisal and loan application. For the past six weeks I've been afraid to say too much because until we actually close and the keys are in our hands, part of me is still waiting for something to go wrong. It's a sign of our first-time home buyer jitters, but it's also a sign of how much I love this house (and how good of a deal we're getting on it--thank you, buyer's market!) With three weeks to go until closing, I have almost accepted it isn't too good to be true. Now if only fairies would come move and unpack all of our things so I could get back to reading at my normal pace!

Reading (and listening)
I have been reading, but as our cleaning and organizing shifts to packing, I'm finding myself with more time for audiobooks. I'm currently enjoying My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor. It's a fascinating story of her life up to the point she becomes a judge, and I'm finding it particularly poignant to listen to as we prepare for this major life change of home ownership.

I'm also really enjoying Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight. It's one of those books you just want to sit and read until you finish, which is not having a good impact on my packing and cleaning this weekend. I'll have a review for you on Thursday.

Coming up on the blog
Somehow despite my slower reading pace, I've still accumulated thirteen books I've finished and need to review. I hope I can (finally!) get caught up by the end of April. I've been on a bit of a mystery kick this spring and have three 5-star mystery reviews in the pipeline. Look for a few new reviews this week.

I've also been finding a great sense of joy in watching films again. One of the changes we're making when we move will be to get rid of satellite television, which I love, but I do not love enough to continue to justify the pricetag. Truthfully, as much as I love my DVR for remembering when to record my favorite shows when I don't have to, I prefer to binge on entire seasons at once (with a few notable exceptions.) This habit frequently leaves our DVR 90% full. I'm looking forward to a life of Netflix and Amazon Prime. When I'm feeling overwhelmed at the size of my TBR pile and the length of my to do list, there is something incredibly gratifying about the ability to watch an entire movie in a single sitting (a luxury I can rarely manage with a book.) I've been particularly enjoying films the past few weeks as a way to end my day, and I hope to have more regular film reviews on the blog again soon.

The Backlist Book Club
After giving it lots of thought, I will be bringing back The Backlist Book Club this summer, but in a slightly different format. Keep your eyes posted for more details after our big move.

Now tell me: what have you been up to lately?


Comments

  1. Congratulations on the new home! I moved around a lot (although not quite a much as you!) in the past and am hopefully here for a while. I know what it is like to finally feel settled. I hope your new home is everything you desire :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, what great news! My husband and I bought our first house recently, we moved in two weeks ago and it's a great feeling. Hope everything continues to go smoothly for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first home purchase will always be a special experience. I am so happy for you! I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! My wife and I have started the process -- it's quite stressful! -- so I hope we have the same good luck as you!

    Can't wait to see what's coming up for reviews and the Backlist Book club!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and good luck with the move! Audiobooks are perfect for packing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so excited that you are getting your first house! It's always stressful and nerve wracking when you are in negotiations, as my best friend recently bought a house and it was really stressful for her. But it's almost yours!! Just a few more weeks, and it's true, you will be a nomad no more!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to read this exciting news. Wishing you a smooth closing and move.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck to you both! You'll get through this part and then you can relax with a book! I'm hooked on audiobooks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! That is so wonderful! We also bought our first home last year and I know all about that nervousness, excitement and 'what-if-something-went-wrong' feeling. Enjoy your new home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand the waiting for something to go wrong! When I bought my condo I was a ball of anxiety until I found termites (days after my closing, yes I had an inspection) and then I was finally able to relax! My realtor thought I was weird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a little late to the party, but CONGRATULATIONS. We're gonna need pics. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley