book thoughts: An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkannen

The backstory: I enjoyed the first thriller co-authored by Hendricks and Pekkanen, The Wife Between Us (my review).

The basics:  "Seeking women ages 18–32 to participate in a study on ethics and morality. Generous compensation. Anonymity guaranteed.

When Jessica Farris signs up for a psychology study conducted by the mysterious Dr. Shields, she thinks all she’ll have to do is answer a few questions, collect her money, and leave.

Question #1: Could you tell a lie without feeling guilt?

But as the questions grow more and more intense and invasive and the sessions become outings where Jess is told what to wear and how to act, she begins to feel as though Dr. Shields may know what she’s thinking…and what she’s hiding."--publisher

My thoughts: I had low expectations going into this book. While I didn't end up loving The Wife Between Us, it was really fun to read, and that's what I was hoping for with An Anonymous Girl: a fun read. And it was. As I read, I was transfixed. I found the characters of Jessica and Dr. Shields intriguing, and the games they played with each other were clever and fun. Like Jessica, as a reader, I wasn't sure if she was being paranoid or if she was right, and I had the benefit of knowing she's a character in a psychological thriller.

I quite enjoyed the time I spent with An Anonymous Girl, as it was a suspenseful read. I was expecting a twist that never really happened, but the psychological games were enough fun that it didn't necessary need a twist. Overall, I liked it more than The Wife Between Us, and if their thrillers keep improving, the next one should be even better.

Rating: 4 out of 5
Length: 372 pages
Publication date: January 8, 2019
Source: publisher

Want to read for yourself? Buy An Anonymous Girl from Amazon (Kindle edition.)

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson