Planning my May Challenge Reading

One of my favorite things has become the Around the Year in 52 Books Reading Challenge. From June through December 2019, we nominated and voted on the prompts for this challenge, and each week (or so), we each read a book for that week's prompt. In 2019, I participated in the challenge, but I didn't read the prompts in order. I'm having more fun reading in order this year. In May, there are four prompts, and I welcome your suggestions for ideas of what to read. I'm limited by books on my own shelves or books I can get from the library digitally, as our public libraries and the academic library I work at are both closed until further notice.

19. A fantasy book

I don't read fantasy very often, but I do have a few Book of the Month options on my shelf: These Witches Don't Burn by Isabel Sterling and Ninth Houseby Leigh Bardugo.



Both are the first in a series and sound entertaining. Have you read either of them?

20. The 20th book (eg. on your TBR, in a series, by an author, on a list)

This is one of those prompts that could be anything. I've been working on reading from my own shelves, including my Book of the Month picks. I keep a unique TBR in Goodreads for my Book of the Month TBR, so I'll likely move the book I choose to the 20th spot and call it a day. I have too many to choose from. Which one is your favorite?

21. A book related to Maximilian Hell, the noted astronomer and Jesuit Priest who was born in 1719

This prompt is fun because it lets me get creative and learn more about Maximilian Hell. There are so many options: a book related to astronomy, a book featuring Catholicism, a book written in or set in the 1700s, a book set in Hungary (where he was born) or Austria (where he died.)



When I think of Catholicism, I often think of patron saints. One book that's on my TBR for years is Ann Patchett's debut novel, The Patron Saint of Liars. One of the 2020 titles that intrigues me most is Ursula Hegi's new novel, The Patron Saint of Pregnant Girls, but it's publication date has been pushed to August.

22. A book with a major theme of survival


I read and loved Stephanie Danler's debut novel, Sweetbitter, in 2016 (my review). Her next book, a memoir, published May 19 and focuses on growing up in a family riddled with addiction.

Now tell me: what other ideas for these May reading prompts do you have for me? 

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson