Tuesday, October 13, 2009

book review: little pink slips by sally koslow

After devouring and enjoying The Late, Lamented Molly Marx, I was thrilled to learn Sally Koslow had written another book: Little Pink Slips.

Little Pink Slips is the story of Magnolia Gold, a North Dakotan turned New Yorker who now is editor-in-chief at Lady magazine. Magnolia is professionally successful and incredibly focused on her career. Cue intense workplace drama.

Although I really enjoyed the character of Magnolia, I did not enjoy anyone else in the book. (In Molly Marx, I loved everyone, even the obnoxious and selfish characters, because they had depth and believability). Magnolia could not catch a break in this book, and it wore me out. I confess, I am not a huge fan of workplace drama. (Seriously, even The Office depresses me: I dread the thought of life in an office environment surrounded by people you dislike.) I found myself rooting for her to find a way to walk right out of the pages and find new friends, a new job and new coworkers.

Perhaps my expectation were too high after Molly Marx, but I was underwhelmed with this book. I loved The Late, Lamented Molly Marx, and I liked some elements of this book, but it went on too long and involved too many people I didn't care about. I think Sally Koslow is a great writer, but Little Pink Slips lacked the combination of humor and insight that drew me into Molly Marx. I was disappointed, but Koslow has proven herself capable of writing a multitude of three-dimensional characters, and I'm still eagerly awaiting her next novel, With Friends Like These, due out in summer of 2010.

Rating: 2 stars (out of 5) - okay
Pages: 389
Publication: April 2, 2007
Source: my local public library


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reading my first book, Little Pink Slips. I couldn't agree more that with my second book, The Late, Lamented Molly Marx, I took a step forward with my writing...and I think that third book, With Friends like These, out next summer, will be going in the same forward direction. All best, Sallly Koslow

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!