book review: perfect fifths by megan mccafferty

Welcome to day five of Megan McCafferty and Jessica Darling week at nomadreader! I have finally written my last catch-up review for my summer reading and vacation from blogging.

This book is the fifth in Megan McCafferty's Jessica Darling series, and both the review and summary contain spoilers from the first four novels.

Summary: This book takes place a few months in the future (as in early 2010), which makes the timing of Marcus and Jessica's stories work. Jessica has a perfect job, and she spends her life on the road working. Marcus is finishing up at Princeton. When they run into each other at the airport, they talk about life, love and their relationship.

Review: The entire book takes place in one day (with a few flashbacks and backstory to fill the readers--and Jessica and Marcus--in on what's been happening.) I can't imagine taking longer than a day to read it. It's the first book told with a more traditional narrative rather than in diary-style. It was a fantastic read, and I loved it, despite not being as enthusiastic for Marcus as most fans of this series. The entire book is a celebration of the series as a whole. At the end of the book, however, I was perplexed. This is the end? The story is only now beginning. I loved it, but I truly hope it's not the last time we see Jessica. I'm happy to let her live her life for five or ten years, but I still want more.

Rating: 4.5 stars (out of 5) - really loved it
Pages: 258
Publication date:
April 14, 2009
Source: my local public library


Can't get enough Megan McCafferty? She's on Twitter, where she posts current tweets as well as snippets from her own high school diaries. She also was a Web site, which you should read to stay in the loop about her next novel, Bumped, a dystopian high school comedy, which is set to published in 2011. The plot: only teens are able to have babies, and adults contract them to do so.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading all of your Megan McCafferty reviews! I think I'll have to check out this author now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley