book review: sloppy firsts by megan mccafferty

In honor of finally catching up on the last five reviews from books I read this summer, it's Megan McCafferty and Jessica Darling week here at nomadreader. Each day this week, I'll post one review for each book in the five book series.

Summary: Sloppy Firsts is the story of Jessica Darling, a high school junior in New Jersey. Her best friend, Hope, has moved to Tennessee after Hope's brother died of a drug overdose. Jessica is a faithful diarist, and her story unfolds through diary entries and a monthly letter to Hope.

Review: One of my best friends recommended this book to me, and I'm so glad she did! I loved Jessica Darling from the very beginning, and I wished the books were around when I was in high school because I would have loved them then too. Jessica is a wonderfully honest narrator, but the reader can still see how she struggles with her self-esteem. Jessica's perception of herself is not always the exact reality, but it's refreshing to read a story with enough depth to let the reader understand the narrator's point of view and alternate points of view. Are any of us truly aware of our exact gifts, talents and perspective to others? The novel is tender, funny and true. Jessica Darling truly feels like a friend after reading this book. I was so glad to discover this book eight years after it was published so I could read the next in the series right away.

Rating: 4 stars (out of 5) - loved it
Pages: 303
Publication date: August 28, 2001
Source: my local public library

Tomorrow: Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

Sea State by Tabitha Lasley